The Student Room Group

Academy schools are not fit for purpose

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Muttley79
Proof please - it's against the law for businesses to sponsor Academies.

An academy is a school funded directly by the Government and not the LA ...

Yes academies are funded by the government - that doesn't mean they aren't sponsored by businesses. Some types of academies, not all, are called 'sponsor academies' because they are sponsored by businesses.

https://fullfact.org/education/academies-and-maintained-schools-what-do-we-know/#:~:text=Sponsored%20academies%E2%80%94these%20have%20sponsors,order%20to%20improve%20their%20performance.
Original post by EL2025
Yes academies are funded by the government - that doesn't mean they aren't sponsored by businesses. Some types of academies, not all, are called 'sponsor academies' because they are sponsored by businesses.

You appear to have misread it - it says "Academies—where funding and oversight is from the Department for Education (DfE) via the Education and Skills Funding Agency. They are run by an academy trust which employs the staff."

A sponsored academy is a school 'taken over' because it is underperforming - typically a school which goes into Special Measures.
(edited 1 year ago)
You appear to have misread it - it says "Academies—where funding and oversight is from the Department for Education (DfE) via the Education and Skills Funding Agency. They are run by an academy trust which employs the staff."

A sponsored academy is a school 'taken over' because it is underperforming - typically a school which goes into Special Measures.

Which mean they are sponsored by businesses, proving my original point. You're the one who is confused.
Original post by EL2025
Which mean they are sponsored by businesses, proving my original point. You're the one who is confused.

No they are usually taken over by a MAT [Multi academy trust e.g. EAct, Ark, River Learning Trust] or even a group of parents - no business is allowed to run a school for profit. The funding comes from the DfE and then are still inspected by Ofsted - unlike Private schools which are run for commercial gain.
No they are usually taken over by a MAT [Multi academy trust e.g. EAct, Ark, River Learning Trust] or even a group of parents - no business is allowed to run a school for profit. The funding comes from the DfE and then are still inspected by Ofsted - unlike Private schools which are run for commercial gain.

I'd much rather send my child to a private school than an academy.
Original post by EL2025
I'd much rather send my child to a private school than an academy.

WHy? They 'pretend' to be charities and aren't - they are allowed to make profits - academies can't.

Nearly all the Grammar schools are Academies - they are called converter academies - are they rubbish too?

Academy sponsors are responsible for:
* setting up the academy trust
* appointing the leadership team
* selecting the governing body
* monitoring the academy’s performance and taking action where necessary
* reporting to DfE about the academy’s performance
* involving parents and the wider community in the academy’s work through events, mentoring and business links
* making sure the academy spends its funding effectively
* working with the academy trust, governing body, principal and senior leadership team

If you don’t comply with your responsibilities as sponsor, the Secretary of State for Education can remove your sponsor status.

Which one has upset you?
WHy? They 'pretend' to be charities and aren't - they are allowed to make profits - academies can't.

Nearly all the Grammar schools are Academies - they are called converter academies - are they rubbish too?

Academy sponsors are responsible for:
* setting up the academy trust
* appointing the leadership team
* selecting the governing body
* monitoring the academy’s performance and taking action where necessary
* reporting to DfE about the academy’s performance
* involving parents and the wider community in the academy’s work through events, mentoring and business links
* making sure the academy spends its funding effectively
* working with the academy trust, governing body, principal and senior leadership team

If you don’t comply with your responsibilities as sponsor, the Secretary of State for Education can remove your sponsor status.

Which one has upset you?

Nothing has upset me - I don't like academies because I went to one and I didn't enjoy it. Private schools, by contrast, offer a more personalised learning environment and because you're paying, it means there's a stronger guarantee of better learning. We shouldn't get rid of private schools because it is a parent's choice at the end of the day and they contribute a lot to our economy. Getting rid of private schools would be communist.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by EL2025
Nothing has upset me - I don't like academies because I went to one and I didn't enjoy it. Private schools, by contrast, offer a more personalised learning environment and because you're paying, it means there's a stronger guarantee of better learning. We shouldn't get rid of private schools because it is a parent's choice at the end of the day and they contribute a lot to our economy. Getting rid of private schools would be communist.

You ignore my point about Grammars - you went to one school you didn't like - that doesn't prove Academies are bad nor that they are businesses.
You ignore my point about Grammars - you went to one school you didn't like - that doesn't prove Academies are bad nor that they are businesses.

The definition of an academy school is a school that is free from local authority control and is either funded directly from the government or sponsored by businesses. Almost all sponsor academies are businesses which can only happen if a business runs or sponsors the school. You seem to be obsessed with what I think, which is largely irrelevant. Private schools are not as much businesses compared to academies. There's no evidence that academy schools outperform local maintained schools.
Original post by EL2025
The definition of an academy school is a school that is free from local authority control and is either funded directly from the government or sponsored by businesses. Almost all sponsor academies are businesses which can only happen if a business runs or sponsors the school. You seem to be obsessed with what I think, which is largely irrelevant. Private schools are not as much businesses compared to academies. There's no evidence that academy schools outperform local maintained schools.

No you are wrong - most are in MATs which aren't businesses [they are charties] - did you read what I posted? Grammars aren't run by business - a lot of schools are run by Dioceses, the Catholic church and I also posted the names of other sponsors like EAct, Ark - MATs are set up as charitable companies and are accountable directly to the Secretary of State through the regional schools’ commissioners.

Stop posting incorrect information.
No you are wrong - most are in MATs which aren't businesses [they are charties] - did you read what I posted? Grammars aren't run by business - a lot of schools are run by Dioceses, the Catholic church and I also posted the names of other sponsors like EAct, Ark - MATs are set up as charitable companies and are accountable directly to the Secretary of State through the regional schools’ commissioners.

Stop posting incorrect information.

Where are you getting your information from - that's complete rubbish. Also, none of what you said proves or shows that private schools should be gotten rid of.
Original post by EL2025
Where are you getting your information from - that's complete rubbish. Also, none of what you said proves or shows that private schools should be gotten rid of.

Read the links I posted - it's all straight from official sources ...you are objecting to Academies running as 'businesses' and they aren't allowed to. The only businesses in education are Private schools which have to make a profit!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/academy-sponsor-contact-list
(edited 1 year ago)
Read the links I posted - it's all straight from official sources ...you are objecting to Academies running as 'businesses' and they aren't allowed to. The only businesses in education are Private schools which have to make a profit!

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/academy-sponsor-contact-list

You are completely wrong, and I don't understand your obsession with private schools. What's your problem with them?
Original post by EL2025
You

No I am totally correct - just read the links - it's all official not just your 'hate' against your old school.
No I am totally correct - just read the links - it's all official not just your 'hate' against your old school.

Those links do not disprove or refute what I said, if anything it proves that academies are businesses. My school was sponsored by a business, that's how we were able to put up a new building. Another academy near me was sponsored by the business TalkTalk, they are the school's financial donor, which proves my original point. You're just talking rubbish because you have this weird obsession with having to think you're right about everything.
Original post by EL2025
Those links do not disprove

You haven't read a thing - all Academies are run by charities and aren't allowed to make a profit - Schools get money for new buildings from the Government. Please just stop - PM me the name of your school and I can prove you're wrong.
Original post by EL2025
Those links do not disprove or refute what I said, if anything it proves that academies are businesses. My school was sponsored by a business, that's how we were able to put up a new building. Another academy near me was sponsored by the business TalkTalk, they are the school's financial donor, which proves my original point. You're just talking rubbish because you have this weird obsession with having to think you're right about everything.

This is the very definition of confidentially incorrect.
Original post by Wonder Potato
This is the very definition of confidentially incorrect.

But I wasn't incorrect - I'm talking from experience and from what I know. Academies are sponsored by businesses. Muttley79 is more concerned with trying to be right rather than the actual topic I originally posted. TalkTalk is the financial donor of an academy school near me, nothing is incorrect about that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending