The Student Room Group

university of cambridge foundation year 2023

hey I just wanted to come on here to see if there is anyone who has applied for the Cambridge foundation year in arts, humanities, and social sciences - just because its relatively new course and it would be good go through it together.

Scroll to see replies

Hello! I've applied and just about to send off my Foundation Year: Supplementary Application Questionnaire
Me! I applied and sent off the FYSAQ about a week ago now. :smile: What does everyone want to study after the FY?
I'd like to do Archeology and Anthropology or HSPS
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bigcharlie123

Nice! I’d like to progress onto Law. What college are you thinking of choosing on the FYSAQ?
Original post by fec1864
Nice! I’d like to progress onto Law. What college are you thinking of choosing on the FYSAQ?

I put down Gonville & Caius (even though I know a lot of people apply there :/ I just really loved it when I visited) wbu?
(edited 1 year ago)
I put down Gonville & Caius (even though I know a lot of people apply there :/ I just really loved it when I visited) wbu?

Gonville seems like such a good college. The architecture is pretty and old, and I was considering choosing it myself. However, I chose Wolfson College (a mature college) because I’m a mature student. :smile: Not sure how true it is, though, but I’ve heard from those at Cambridge that Gonville has a lot of right-wing students and has a reputation for it!
Hi everyone. I'm a current student on the Foundation Year and am happy to answer any questions you might have about the course and the application process!
I applied about a month ago now, when do interview offers tend to come through?
(edited 1 year ago)

Me too! Which college?
Original post by fec1864
Gonville seems like such a good college. The architecture is pretty and old, and I was considering choosing it myself. However, I chose Wolfson College (a mature college) because I’m a mature student. :smile: Not sure how true it is, though, but I’ve heard from those at Cambridge that Gonville has a lot of right-wing students and has a reputation for it!

Usually the college stereotypes are misleading/ exaggerated, but Caius' rep for being right-wing is very much accurate. They refuse to fly the lgbt flag and chances are that fellows + students espousing right-wing views in union debates will be Caius members.

If this becomes too much remember you can always seek refuge at King's (which flies a communist flag in its bar), and Clare is nestled between the two to mediate between the two extremes :wink:
hi everyone!

gosh everyone's applied already and i'm too scared to send mine off lol : \
how late is too late to send off an application? the deadline is january 25th at 6:00pm but i was hoping to send mine off on the 24th.

+ if anyone is comfortable enough, please could you drop a your gcse stats below because mine are lower than the results of a person who says "got in with 66655577899 so ur ok" (i know anything lower than that is bad pls don't attack lol.) i do have above the predicted UCAS points needed as well as lots of wider reading and work experience, so i'm hoping that they don't completely throw me away because of my GCSEs.

lol even if i get rejected at least i can claim the "oxbridge reject" title. joking. i desperately want this.:dumbells:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by 888ayg
hi everyone!

how late is too late to send off an application? the deadline is january 25th at 6:00pm but i was hoping to send mine off on the 24th.

+ if anyone is comfortable enough, please could you drop a your gcse stats below because mine are lower than the results of a person who says "got in with 66655577899 so ur ok" (i know anything lower than that is bad pls don't attack lol.) i do have above the predicted UCAS points needed as well as lots of wider reading and work experience, so i'm hoping that they don't completely throw me away because of my GCSEs.

hello! the deadline is 25th jan, go for
it. i think they recognise as part of the eligibility that your secondary education was disrupted or limited your potential, that’s why it is how it is, so don’t let your gcses hold you back at all.
my gcses were: 9999988777 and 7 in FM - and genuinely i think that reading, work experience and passion is what they are looking for. depending on your eligibility criteria that you fit, the gcse’s could be part of building the picture of why you’ve been disadvantaged in education.

go for it! and good luck :smile:
Original post by cozziehunt
hello! the deadline is 25th jan, go for
it. i think they recognise as part of the eligibility that your secondary education was disrupted or limited your potential, that’s why it is how it is, so don’t let your gcses hold you back at all.
my gcses were: 9999988777 and 7 in FM - and genuinely i think that reading, work experience and passion is what they are looking for. depending on your eligibility criteria that you fit, the gcse’s could be part of building the picture of why you’ve been disadvantaged in education.

go for it! and good luck :smile:

omg you did so well on your gcses!!! i have my fingers crossed lol and on the website they were like "if you don't apply, we can't accept you!!" so now i'm too attached to let go :lovedup:
thank you so much for the encouragement and info!!! good luck to you as well :biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by cozziehunt
Me too! Which college?

I'd ideally like to go to a uni that does Archeology and Anthropology (as Cambridge don't provide that exact course) but they do have similarities in their HSPS course so I've applied to Caius for the foundation year :smile:
Original post by 888ayg
hi everyone!

lol even if i get rejected at least i can claim the "oxbridge reject" title. joking. i desperately want this.:dumbells:

Hey don't worry, I only sent mine off a few days ago
I got 577777778 (the 5 was in maths lol) and predicted AAA for a-levels
Original post by 888ayg
omg you did so well on your gcses!!! i have my fingers crossed lol and on the website they were like "if you don't apply, we can't accept you!!" so now i'm too attached to let go :lovedup:
thank you so much for the encouragement and info!!! good luck to you as well :biggrin::biggrin:

Good luck!
Original post by catcomputer
Hi everyone. I'm a current student on the Foundation Year and am happy to answer any questions you might have about the course and the application process!

Hey, thanks for finding this thread!! Out of interest are you are happy with the college you chose? Would you say the process was v v stressful, with the tests and interviews etc? and did they tell you when they would tell applicants if they got accepted to the next stages of applications? Thank you again for coming on here! Hope the course is going well for you so far?
Original post by 888ayg

no worries, and get that application off! best of luck
I'd ideally like to go to a uni that does Archeology and Anthropology (as Cambridge don't provide that exact course) but they do have similarities in their HSPS course so I've applied to Caius for the foundation year :smile:

HSPS is my first choice at the moment for the degree after foundation! I've put Homerton as my preference college, but with the foundation it's just a preference i think - good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending