The Student Room Group

GCSE History Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by propergoodman
do u have revision timetable and if so how many hours a week do you revise history? i revise 4 hours a week

I have a pretty packed up week so i usually revise when i can, some subjects more than others, but genuinely its about 3-4 hours weekly when i can
Original post by miss.ghost
hey! im doing edexcel history and i am doing medecine throughout time, the cold war, anglo saxon england and hitler’s rise to power - i understand that this is completely different but ive got a predicted 9 and have been getting 9s so what i would recommend is making and then using quizlets. our teacher makes packs of condensed notes and with all the key info and i put it all into a quizlet. except for the cold war i made actual flash cards so i can put them in order of dates to remember the order.

also, memorise the essay structures, im not sure how the aqa papers are but trust me, memorise the essay structures to get optimum number of marks.

in the edexcel papers, they just want you to show some key info and random facts on the topics (not random but you know what i mean), so just remember some names, dates and figures to through into your essay.

i understand if this is useless for your spec but i just wanted to try and help, soo… GOOD LUCK!! (:

hi
i am doing the same topics as you and working on a 7 but really want to get an 8
any advice/study methods pls?
Heyy im doing Edexcel History gcse aswell, ijm doing topics Weimar and Nazi Germany, Crime and Punishment, The cold war, and Elizabethan era. So far i have covered the germany paper three and recieved a 8- and am trying to push to a 8 or 9, if anyone could help it would be appreciated, i can always give u my marks for each question if that would help.

Also happy to share notes with people and my structures for the questions!!
Original post by jlo14532
Heyy im doing Edexcel History gcse aswell, ijm doing topics Weimar and Nazi Germany, Crime and Punishment, The cold war, and Elizabethan era. So far i have covered the germany paper three and recieved a 8- and am trying to push to a 8 or 9, if anyone could help it would be appreciated, i can always give u my marks for each question if that would help.

Also happy to share notes with people and my structures for the questions!!

OMG yes please :smile:
Germany notes?

Original post by jlo14532
Germany notes?

Yes please, as well as crime and punishment and Elizabeth if you can. Don't give me cold war as I did the American West instead.
do u want my email so you can send them to me?
do u want my email so you can send them to me?

heya so i have completely done germany, and am currently doing c & p so can send them as i go? i can email orn send on discord
Original post by acolourfulhuman
hi
i am doing the same topics as you and working on a 7 but really want to get an 8
any advice/study methods pls?

well for the cold war i made paper flash cards with names, info, dates, importance and consequences (like mini fact files) so i can memorise info and also try arrange them in the right order

for medicine i made a quizlet with all the info, so like key people and what they did, causes, cures, prevention and key events like the Black Death and the Great plague

for weimar i split the topic into 4 sections and have quizlets on each event per section

not sure what im gonna do for anglo saxon but probably just quizlets on each event

also memorising essay structures for the 4 markers and 8 markers and 12 markers (etc.)

and then just practice planning question and write out a couple once you know the stuff

also my teacher always says its better to know a little about a lot than a lot about a little, so aslong as you remember a couple of names and number per each even and are able to recall what it is about -ish and have the write essay structure then youre all good to go!!

good luck!! and if you want any of my quizlets (although they are a mess and have spelling mistakes i cba to change in) let me know and ill post the links up on here (:

these are my germany quizlets for anyone who wants them (sorry they are in a weird order but you can go through them chronologically)

https://quizlet.com/gburthom5/folders/history-weimar-nazi-germany?i=34rwjm&x=1xqY
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by miss.ghost
well for the cold war i made paper flash cards with names, info, dates, importance and consequences (like mini fact files) so i can memorise info and also try arrange them in the right order

for medicine i made a quizlet with all the info, so like key people and what they did, causes, cures, prevention and key events like the Black Death and the Great plague

for weimar i split the topic into 4 sections and have quizlets on each event per section

not sure what im gonna do for anglo saxon but probably just quizlets on each event

also memorising essay structures for the 4 markers and 8 markers and 12 markers (etc.)

and then just practice planning question and write out a couple once you know the stuff

also my teacher always says its better to know a little about a lot than a lot about a little, so aslong as you remember a couple of names and number per each even and are able to recall what it is about -ish and have the write essay structure then youre all good to go!!

good luck!! and if you want any of my quizlets (although they are a mess and have spelling mistakes i cba to change in) let me know and ill post the links up on here (:

thank you so much :smile:
and yes can you put the links for your quizlets please?
thank you so much :smile:
and yes can you put the links for your quizlets please?

no problem!!

germany: https://quizlet.com/gburthom5/folders/history-weimar-nazi-germany?i=34rwjm&x=1xqY
medicine: https://quizlet.com/gb/694906329/gcse-edexcel-history-medecine-flash-cards/?i=34rwjm&x=1jqY
essay structures (only has medicine and germany question essays on so far): https://quizlet.com/gb/759214756/writing-history-essays-flash-cards/?i=34rwjm&x=1jqY

(medicine is reallyyy messy sorry!!)
no problem!! (:
glad to help!
thank you :smile::smile::smile:
Hey I'm a year 13 now but just thought I'd say I did gcse history and absolutely LOVED it, it was my favourite subject, so if you need any help feel free to PM me. If not, no worries, just enjoy the subject and good luck with your exams!! :smile:
Original post by heartfhuls
hi can anyone please give me literally any help with history ohmygod it's the subject i struggle with the most because there is so much content and my brain can simply not take it in and understand it😭 my exam board is AQA and the topics are america 1920-1973, the interwar years, health and the people, and elizabethen england. im currently getting 1s and 2s but i really want at least a 6 as it's my predicted grade!!

Hi, out of all those, im only doing Elizabethan England. I'm currently getting a 9 in it, and hopefully will in the exam. How do i do that? I waffle. If i dont know much about what the question means i still write something. There was a question and i didnt really know what the hell it was about so i just wrote all the information i could remember from that time, not quite answering the question but still got 6/8. I got 8/8 on another question where i just manipulated the question to mean what i wanted it to mean. However you can only do this and waffle if you know your information. Im good with dates so i dont do much revision but when i do i make sure its active revision. I also have a very short attention span so i make it fun. This might be throwing a ball at a wall or rebounder whilst recalling information and then for stuff i forget i go on seneca. Good luck and you can get that 6, i have faith in you.
Hello everyone!

How is your history revision going? Has anyone come across any more useful resources or helpful tips?

GCSE History Study Group

(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Pwca
Hello everyone!

How is your history revision going? Has anyone come across any more useful resources or helpful tips?

GCSE History Study Group

If you don't know what to write, state the obvious effects of something. I did this and got 24/32 on my recent elizabeth test not knowing a great deal
If you don't know what to write, state the obvious effects of something. I did this and got 24/32 on my recent elizabeth test not knowing a great deal

better to get some marks by writing something than no marks at all because you didnt write anything! we were told 'always write something no matter what'.
Original post by Pwca
Hello everyone!

GCSE History Study Group

it is going absolutely horrendous icl 😭 there was this situation that happened between me and my teacher and now everything is ruined between us and i just don't have any motivation for his lessons anymore because of what happened. got a U in my december and will be probably get another U in the current mocks im doing right now. honestly at this point im not even sure if im going to sit the exam in the summer - i really want to as i actually love the subject so much i just genuinely can't take in all the content. it also doesn't help that i basically have to teach all of the conflict, medicine, and elizabethen courses to myself as my teacher is absolutely no help 👍🏻 at this point i feel like im just setting myself to fail if i sit the exam its way too late for a redemption arc lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending