The Student Room Group

GCSE History Study Group 2022-2023

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heartfhuls
it is going absolutely horrendous icl 😭 there was this situation that happened between me and my teacher and now everything is ruined between us and i just don't have any motivation for his lessons anymore because of what happened. got a U in my december and will be probably get another U in the current mocks im doing right now. honestly at this point im not even sure if im going to sit the exam in the summer - i really want to as i actually love the subject so much i just genuinely can't take in all the content. it also doesn't help that i basically have to teach all of the conflict, medicine, and elizabethen courses to myself as my teacher is absolutely no help 👍🏻 at this point i feel like im just setting myself to fail if i sit the exam its way too late for a redemption arc lol

don’t say that it is too late.
just recall core knowledge everyday and try past papers. if there is a different history tracher at your school try to talk to them.
sorry about what happened to you but it is never late and you also enjoy the lesson which is very helpful to start revising
if you think positive, you will do better
even when you have no motivation just force yourself to revise so it starts to feel like a habit to your brain.
good luck
we can all do this together 😊
Hi! I do Edexcel History and my modules are Crime and Punishment, Early Elizabethan Era, The Cold War, and Weimar and Nazi Germany. I'm predicted a 9 (and working at a grade 9) and I have notes already typed up for Weimar and Nazi Germany, but if anyone needs anything specific on those topics just let me know and I can see if I can help

(I've not yet completed The Cold War in school, which is slightly concerning I know, so I do not have notes everything on that topic)
Reply 42
Original post by AmeenahHs
Hi! I do Edexcel History and my modules are Crime and Punishment, Early Elizabethan Era, The Cold War, and Weimar and Nazi Germany. I'm predicted a 9 (and working at a grade 9) and I have notes already typed up for Weimar and Nazi Germany, but if anyone needs anything specific on those topics just let me know and I can see if I can help

(I've not yet completed The Cold War in school, which is slightly concerning I know, so I do not have notes everything on that topic)

Hi! I am also doing the same modules ( apart from Weimar and Nazi Germany ), and I recently had a Crime and Punishment mock and I did really bad unfortunately. What would be your advice to get higher grades, I am really pushing for all 8s/9s and history is one of my weakest subjects, although I do enjoy it a lot!

my school have not even finished weimar snd nazi germany, so can you please give your notes for it as I'd rather finish early to revise my other topics for e.g. medicine through time
Original post by rayhxn97
my school have not even finished weimar snd nazi germany, so can you please give your notes for it as I'd rather finish early to revise my other topics for e.g. medicine through time

Oh that's stressful, I can definitely send my notes over to you, are you alright with sending me your email address?
Original post by medrbg
Hi! I am also doing the same modules ( apart from Weimar and Nazi Germany ), and I recently had a Crime and Punishment mock and I did really bad unfortunately. What would be your advice to get higher grades, I am really pushing for all 8s/9s and history is one of my weakest subjects, although I do enjoy it a lot!

Crime and Punishment, in my opinion is one of the most enjoyable modules, but can be the most challenging considering the depth it goes into over such a long period of time. Learning the structure of each question is immensely helpful, and work on your timings based on that. Do past papers, and focus on the questions you lose marks on the most.

Put SPEND into every single paragraph multiple times- examiners love it because it shows that you know what you're talking about. SPEND stands for: Statistics, People/Places, Events, Names (not of people/places), and Dates.

In C&P, there is a lot of change and continuity; for each period (e.g Medieval) try to perhaps make flashcards on the changes and continuity in law enforcement and crime. Loads of people claim that it's 'too late' to be making flashcards so close to the exam, but it really isn't.

If you struggle with recalling dates, get post-it notes and stick them up around your room with the dates on them and just read them to yourself at least once a day. Even if you're not consciously trying to memorise it as you read it, in the time between now and the exam, you'll end up learning so many without realising. Of course, if you can try to consciously memorise them, that's even better.

When you are revising, break it down into chunks. One day, focus solely on the Medieval era, and the next day put all your focus onto the Early Modern Era. The day after that, do comparison between the two. If you do that with every era we cover, you'll get all the content memorised fairly easily.

I hope that was helpful, let me know if I can help in any other way
Reply 46
Crime and Punishment, in my opinion is one of the most enjoyable modules, but can be the most challenging considering the depth it goes into over such a long period of time. Learning the structure of each question is immensely helpful, and work on your timings based on that. Do past papers, and focus on the questions you lose marks on the most.

Put SPEND into every single paragraph multiple times- examiners love it because it shows that you know what you're talking about. SPEND stands for: Statistics, People/Places, Events, Names (not of people/places), and Dates.

In C&P, there is a lot of change and continuity; for each period (e.g Medieval) try to perhaps make flashcards on the changes and continuity in law enforcement and crime. Loads of people claim that it's 'too late' to be making flashcards so close to the exam, but it really isn't.

If you struggle with recalling dates, get post-it notes and stick them up around your room with the dates on them and just read them to yourself at least once a day. Even if you're not consciously trying to memorise it as you read it, in the time between now and the exam, you'll end up learning so many without realising. Of course, if you can try to consciously memorise them, that's even better.

When you are revising, break it down into chunks. One day, focus solely on the Medieval era, and the next day put all your focus onto the Early Modern Era. The day after that, do comparison between the two. If you do that with every era we cover, you'll get all the content memorised fairly easily.

I hope that was helpful, let me know if I can help in any other way

That is amazing advice! I have been struggling with the workload of GCSE history, and I think that is a great method of trying to learn the content for c+p :smile:. Thank you so much, I will try this over the week and then I will let you know how it goes soon!
Original post by medrbg
That is amazing advice! I have been struggling with the workload of GCSE history, and I think that is a great method of trying to learn the content for c+p :smile:. Thank you so much, I will try this over the week and then I will let you know how it goes soon!

Absolutely no problem, let me know if I can help with anything else :smile:
Hey, I would be really grateful if anyone could mark this history 8 marker I did for aqa health and the people. I have my history mock on monday, so any tips for that would also be great (all on health and the people)
Compare the Great Plague and the Black Death. Explain two ways which they were similiar.

During the Great Plague and the Black death, many people believed that the diseases were caused for superstitious or religious reasons. They both believed that God must have sent the disease as a punishment for their sins and therefore believed that praying or purging would cure them of the disease. This didn’t help cure the disease as they did not know or understand the real causes. Many people also believed that miasma caused disease and would therefore carry around herbs and would burn fires to purify the air.

Another similarity between the Great Plague and the Black Death was that many people lost their lives as they didn’t know or understand the real causes. This was because Germ Theory was yet to be published, which would have proved that it was germs causing disease and to stop the disease from spreading, we would need to find a way to kill the germs. Bloodletting and purging were still used to cure the disease; however, it most likely made the diseases worse as they would have caused infections in the wounds, killing many. However less lives were lost during the Great Plague as victims with the disease would quarantine themselves to stop themselves from spreading the disease to others and many crowded public areas such as theatres were closed.
Reply 49
Original post by Evil Homer
Welcome to the GCSE History Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec

Edexcel Spec

OCR A Spec

OCR B Spec

Eduqas Spec

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

hii im doing ocr a, anyone else doing it. also has anyone got any tips for the power monarchy topic
Reply 50
Original post by propergoodman
do u have revision timetable and if so how many hours a week do you revise history? i revise 4 hours a week

hi guys can anyone help me with conflict and tension and power and people im so badd and i misses a year cus i moved school and my current school starts gcse in yr 9
Reply 51
Where are the individual chat rooms. I do WJEC eduqas
Reply 52
Absolutely no problem, let me know if I can help with anything else :smile:

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the c+p paper was quite decent and your tips really helped me a lot so thanks! I was wondering, do you do The Cold War? If u did, could u give me some tips because I am really struggling to recall anything as I covered it last and the exam is so soon TT
Reply 53
Original post by medrbg
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that the c+p paper was quite decent and your tips really helped me a lot so thanks! I was wondering, do you do The Cold War? If u did, could u give me some tips because I am really struggling to recall anything as I covered it last and the exam is so soon TT

Hi! I'm glad I was able to help :smile:
I do also do Cold War. What I've found helpful is, for each individual topic, learning just 2-3 Causes, Key Events, Consequences and Importances and then you're set for the questions since there are only either asking for a narrative, consequence or importance of a topic. And out of the 2-3, try to learn ones that you can expand upon and develop your answer :smile:
Learning dates is key, since in the Cold War questions the examiners are looking for SPEND evidence (Statistics, People/Places, Events, Names (not of people) and Dates) and time periods are important because there are often events with similar names, like there's two Geneva Summits, there were 2 Cold Wars, there were 2 Berlin Crises etc

Also go over all the small little details e.g the Sinatra Doctrine because you never know what they could be asking for
Original post by heartfhuls
hi can anyone please give me literally any help with history ohmygod it's the subject i struggle with the most because there is so much content and my brain can simply not take it in and understand it😭 my exam board is AQA and the topics are america 1920-1973, the interwar years, health and the people, and elizabethen england. im currently getting 1s and 2s but i really want at least a 6 as it's my predicted grade!!

hi, i am doing history ocr route b: making of america, nazi germany, people's health, norman conquest and site study. we don't study much of the same content so i can't really help with that.
- use seneca: i don't know if your school uses it (mine does, giving students access to all the free content) but you can create a free account. for my exam board most of the units are available for free, hopefully that is the same for you as i find them really helpful for content overview.
- i'm not sure on your exam technique but like you i was really underperforming in y10 (getting 5s and 6s when i was predicted 8s and 9s). my teacher said i wrote my essays too much like an english essay, and using the phrase "for example" more frequently would help me keep on track. it has. so try and remember specific dates/examples of turning points in your period that you could use regardless of the essay (e.g. with the america topic, the induction of lincoln as president is likely a useful turning point in america's recent history).
- time management is key. with ocr, the questions get longer and longer (3 marks, 9 marks, 10 marks, 18 marks, etc.). i don't know what it's like for aqa, but if it's the same/similar, prioritise the lengthy 18/20 mark questions. don't let the 9/10 mark questions take up all your time, since you will lose more marks should you run out of time on those questions.
lol this is so long hope it helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending