The Student Room Group

Which university should I apply to for computer science?

Hi, I'm struggling with picking universities for a computer science degree. My predicted grades are A* A* A* for Maths, CS and Psychology. My choices at the moment are UCL, KCL, Bristol, (Bath or Southampton) and Sheffield.
Not sure if I should pick Bath or Southampton so I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on that.
If you have any other university recommendations that would also be appreciated.
Also, without taking Further maths or Physics, do you think I have a good chance to get into UCL?
Thanks in advance,
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by doo78
Hi, I'm struggling with picking universities for a computer science degree. My predicted grades are A* A* A* for Maths, CS and Psychology. My choices at the moment are UCL, KCL, Bristol, (Bath or Southampton) and Sheffield.
Not sure if I should pick Bath or Southampton so I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice on that.
If you have any other university recommendations that would also be appreciated.
Also, without taking Further maths or Physics, do you think I have a good chance to get into UCL?
Thanks in advance,

Hi, I can't really answer the UCL question but for Bath and Southampton I'd argue you should drop a different one in favour of either. Both are very good Engineering universities overall without a doubt. Imo I'd have gone for Bath and Southampton over Sheffield but that's completely up to you. One thing I would say is Bath is probably the better Engineering university but Southampton is Russell group, That might be something to think about. I wouldn't worry too much about either because even though Bath isn't Russell Group it's essentially considered like one when you apply for a job later on anyways. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by TheRandomUniDude
Hi, I can't really answer the UCL question but for Bath and Southampton I'd argue you should drop a different one in favour of either. Both are very good Engineering universities overall without a doubt. Imo I'd have gone for Bath and Southampton over Sheffield but that's completely up to you. One thing I would say is Bath is probably the better Engineering university but Southampton is Russell group, That might be something to think about. I wouldn't worry too much about either because even though Bath isn't Russell Group it's essentially considered like one when you apply for a job later on anyways. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback although I'm reluctant to replace Sheffield because I plan for it to be my insurance. If I put both Bath and Southampton over Sheffield then my insurance entry requirements are going to be a minimum of A*AA which is pretty scary compared to AAA (or AAB with the B in computer science).
Original post by doo78
Thanks in advance,

Hi there,

Picking a university is difficult as there are so many aspects you must consider, not only about the university itself but also the area you will have to live in.

Both Southampton and bath are rated in the top 10 universities for your course so either choice will be great to go for academically. It would be down to yourself as a person and how you would find their differences. For example, bath is a campus university which has its advantages as everything is together in one easy place, provides community and safety etc., however city universities may have more accessible resources such as gyms, restaurants around your lecture halls. Furthermore, Bath is a quieter city known for its beautiful architecture and Bristol just around the corner for nights out, however the nightlife in Southampton is bigger than bath so may be more what you’re looking for. Overall, either choice would be great, as a bath student I have really enjoyed my time here and would recommend it to anyone however this is dependent from student to student.

In terms of UCL I cannot answer, I would recommend looking into the entry requirements they need for the course. If they do not ask for further maths or physics, I see no reason you shouldn’t apply.

Hope this helped,
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Hi, I'm applying for Computer Science (BSc)
I have achieved A levels of 4 A*'s in Biology, Chemistry ,Maths and EPQ.
I am thinking of applying to UCL, Warwick, KCL, Manchester and Bristol.
I did not study Further Maths for A level however I am self learning it, but I will not be giving an exam for it- I have mentioned this on my PS , do you think I should still apply to UCL for comp sci?
What do you think about my other University options, does anyone have an better suggestions?
Thanks in advance !
Original post by doo78
Thanks for the feedback although I'm reluctant to replace Sheffield because I plan for it to be my insurance. If I put both Bath and Southampton over Sheffield then my insurance entry requirements are going to be a minimum of A*AA which is pretty scary compared to AAA (or AAB with the B in computer science).

That's a good plan, In that situation either is a good idea and it's really personal choice. I'd speak to students who have studied at either. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending