The Student Room Group

Feel very put off by religion

I've met a lot of religious people who are very judgemental, do not behave loving or caring at all and just keep pressuring me go to church. Many churches are cults anyways and I don't understand why they always want to push people into their religion, like how is it going to benefit them in the long term? I've read the Bible millions of times, have a good knowledge of it but there are times when I feel like I'm forcing my faith or just going along with it out of fear of being judged for not believing in it. I don't particularly like being around other Christians because I feel like they are all brainwashed so what should I do?
Reply 1
Original post by Diva11
I've met a lot of religious people who are very judgemental, do not behave loving or caring at all and just keep pressuring me go to church. Many churches are cults anyways and I don't understand why they always want to push people into their religion, like how is it going to benefit them in the long term? I've read the Bible millions of times, have a good knowledge of it but there are times when I feel like I'm forcing my faith or just going along with it out of fear of being judged for not believing in it. I don't particularly like being around other Christians because I feel like they are all brainwashed so what should I do?

I'd also prefer to be around non Christians or atheists at this point because they are more open minded and have more knowledge of the real world.
What are your beliefs in the main tenets of (your branch of) Christianity, fellow believers and their behaviour aside? Like do you feel you have a genuine belief in God/the Apostle's Creed/the main teachings as outlined in/by Christianity?

I ask this because your personal faith (or lack thereof!) and how you live that out is separate from how those around you act. If you do have a strong belief in God but feel uncomfortable in your particular church, it might be worth trying other local churches of that denomination nearby - or church-hopping and trying other denominations. Or you could just be a Christian who doesn't go to church/interact with others from that community much - it's not always ideal, but it is possible!

Or it might be that you've hit a point where you find you don't actually believe or are unsure of your beliefs - which is totally OK and natural too. It can be hard to believe when those espousing the same faith as you don't behave in ways that match with what they claim they believe/practice! :yes:
Reply 3
Original post by Diva11

If they are wrong on behaviour they are probably wrong on salvation!
Don't want to shock you but according to the Bible, most "christians" aren't actually Christians . . please read my story on your other thread.
Always trust your gut instinct and listen to what your common sense is telling you. :smile:

You have the right to choose whether you want to go to church, your ambitions, friends and the direction of your future life.
Life is too short to waste your valuable time and emotion on negativity.
Don't give any of your energy or the time of day to those who don't deserve any of either.

Religious affiliations and beliefs are a personal choice.
Not an obligation or automatic inheritance.
Same with interpretations of religious scripture and personal priorities in practice when it comes to religion.
Those who seek to bible bash, pester other people to convert or force their own favourite religious customs upon random strangers are always very bad apples that only earn their professed religion/sect/church/movement a bad name amongst mainstream members of the population.
Good luck!
Being very judgemental is one of the core bits of religiosity. The whole thing is just tribalism turned to 11.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending