The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by princet0ngirl818
Rlly rllyyy bored so thought to strike up a convo about religious beliefs. Please no one come at anyone for their beliefs. However feel free to discuss your thoughts. Have a nice evening :biggrin:

Yes. I am religious.

I think religion is a good concept to form communities plus share morals and values. However, i think some religious people tend to use their religion as an excuse to insult, belittle or degrade others.

I also dislike people who pretend to be morally upright in their religion but when you scrutinise you find them as hypocrites.
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes. I am religious.

I think religion is a good concept to form communities plus share morals and values. However, i think some religious people tend to use their religion as an excuse to insult, belittle or degrade others.

I also dislike people who pretend to be morally upright in their religion but when you scrutinise you find them as hypocrites.

I think I agree with you. I quite like the morals that religions bring and of course some people use religion to belittle others but thats the person and not the religion. There’s always blame on religion when its the actual person twisting things to benefit themselves. I always think you should use religion as a way of living well and treating people better. But yes, you’ve put it very well!
I think I agree with you. I quite like the morals that religions bring and of course some people use religion to belittle others but thats the person and not the religion. There’s always blame on religion when its the actual person twisting things to benefit themselves. I always think you should use religion as a way of living well and treating people better. But yes, you’ve put it very well!

That’s true. People use and abuse religion.
not religious but also not a straight atheist. i quite like quaker humanism but my beliefs are very much wip
Moved to Faith and Spirituality
Original post by vapordave
not religious but also not a straight atheist. i quite like quaker humanism but my beliefs are very much wip

Hmm, don’t think i’ve heard of quaker humanism. Whats the core beliefs?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Moved to Faith and Spirituality

Yh that’s a really common one because it helps people to have faith but then not have a life full of rules to abide by.
Yh that’s a really common one because it helps people to have faith but then not have a life full of rules to abide by.

I can't trust people who don't follow fundamental rules, even if they have faith.

I moved your thread to the Faith and Spirituality section.
No longer religious.
Not in a traditional sense, but my outlook is very 'Buddhist'
Reply 12
Yep I am a muslim. never really practised the faith properly until recently tbh. after learning about the miracles in the Quran and watching debates such as Mohammed Hijab's guided me more to the faith because I am someone who doesn't want to just follow a religion blindly but instead understand the reasoning behind it.
No, because it's all *******s.
Original post by username5995364
No, because it's all *******s.

why do you say that?
Yes, I am a Christian. However, if you were to ask me why, I wish I could say it was because I had some incredible revelation but truthfully it’s just because I was raised to believe in the bible. Nothing wrong with that tho since my dad was an atheist and even my strict Christian mum didn’t mind if I was atheist or Muslim or what 😄
Hi hello.
Catholic.
There seems to be many reasons why that have overlapped following many years.
Although I was raised catholic, practicing never seemed to be priority. I was not taught core values or even the basis for what catholicism is. As time moved on I did my own thing and never sure if I believed in much. I looked into other religions primarily budhism but never jumped the fence.

Then by some weird circumstance religious thoughts began to question my morality and being. Following various conversations online, over radio, and picked up here or there ai started to believe we were made along with evolved, and that this was by design.

I started to think destiny and free will exist together just as chaos and order exist - but these things did not develop into believing that good and evil coexist in the same way. I also had to ask myself what evil really is.

Following some phylisophocal discussions, there seemed to be a trail that everything exists from a single source and that source would not need to have a source. Our source would develop from purpose and not chance as the percentage/mathmatical chance of us being here is too low.

I looked back into christianity (to challenge my morality and compare it to people I dated) and then primarily catholicism after listening to a youtube video about "the fourth cup" that ties Jesus as Messiah and God with His sacrafice replacing all sacrafices and the Eucharist at Mass.

Some years later I count myself as catholic. Im not perfect with my own stuff but i am okay to work at it. Thats the point. To work at it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Wired_1800
Yes. I am religious.

I agree with many parts. I am hesitant on your hypocrite part because everyone is workin on improving something.

Some parts are easier to manage than others. So maybe I can ask, at what point is someone a hypocrite?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by da_nolo
I agree with many parts. I am hesitant on your hypocrite part because everyone is workin on improving something.

Some parts are easier to manage than others. So maybe I can ask, at what point is someone a hypocrite?

A hypocrite is “a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs.”

It is fine for people to want to improve but I disagree with people who want others to live according to a set of ideals that they do not follow themselves.
Reply 19
Original post by mo05
Yep I am a muslim. never really practised the faith properly until recently tbh. after learning about the miracles in the Quran and watching debates such as Mohammed Hijab's guided me more to the faith because I am someone who doesn't want to just follow a religion blindly but instead understand the reasoning behind it.

You do realise that the "Quran miracles" are demonstrable nonsense, and Mohammed Hijab is a poor debater who employs dubious tactics?

Latest

Trending

Trending