The Student Room Group

Driving Test

Hey! So any tips on how to pass a driving test??! I’ve had 2 tests, 3rd is in a few days. I can drive and me and my instructor are confident in my ability to drive and have been for many months. My issue is when I get into that test scenario with the examiner ((I’ve had 2 AWFUL examiners)) I start to get nervous but not a moment before.

I start doing things I’ve never done before. For example trying to set off in 3rd gear when I’ve NEVER done that before. I don’t understand why I get so worked up. I’m not a nervous driver. I’m very confident and I know I can drive

Looking for any tips at all!! I’ve got some rescue remedy which I’m going to try and hope it alleviates my nerves because that’s the only thing holding me back.
Reply 1
Third time lucky, many pass on the third time as we all suffer with nervous at times, you will do it this time. This is your time, you will smash it.

Try and relax, they always say imagine someone you are nervus of as naked but not sure if that works myself. Don't let nerves hold you back and remember you can have up to something like up to 20 minor faults before they fail you so this time, be confident, head up, forget the examiner is there, imagine its your mum or dad instead or someone you like in the car with you and give it another go.

No pressure, nothing to be nervous of, you have done it before so lets face it what's the worst that can happen? you fail again? and in that situation you can always do a fourth or fifth test if you need to anyhow, so you have absolutely nothing to fear. just go in have another go, give it your best shot.

Sometimes we just need a bit of luck on our side in life, you can clearly drive, you got this,

Routing for you, good luck.
Original post by AgileVoid18
Hey! So any tips on how to pass a driving test??! I’ve had 2 tests, 3rd is in a few days. I can drive and me and my instructor are confident in my ability to drive and have been for many months. My issue is when I get into that test scenario with the examiner ((I’ve had 2 AWFUL examiners)) I start to get nervous but not a moment before.

I start doing things I’ve never done before. For example trying to set off in 3rd gear when I’ve NEVER done that before. I don’t understand why I get so worked up. I’m not a nervous driver. I’m very confident and I know I can drive

Looking for any tips at all!! I’ve got some rescue remedy which I’m going to try and hope it alleviates my nerves because that’s the only thing holding me back.

Well as they say "third time lucky" . I passed first time so my advice would be to stay in the present moment. Dont think about something thats coming up like a busy junction, you will not be concentrating on what is currently going on, deal with it when you get there. Also if you made a mistake, dont overthink about that either. it might not have been a fail. For me the test felt like a lesson, so i wasnt really nervous apart from when he asked me to do a hill start.

Good Luck and hope you pass!
I'd recommend a read of 'the driving test & how to pass' - you can get it on amazon, it's packed full of useful info and it's written by a test examiner!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending