The Student Room Group

How advantageous is FM for Econ and Politics?

I'm not sure whether switching my options for Econ and Politics for pure Econ means I'm more likely to get an offer since I'm doing FM. I like Econ and Politics more just marginally because it contains some development economics modules. Development economics is primarily talked about throughout my personal statement so it could be more advantageous to opt for the Econ and Politics courses instead. Hence I'm really stuck whether to go for pure Econ or Econ and Politics as I have to secure offers as with 2 of my options I feel like I'm definitely reaching. For reference apart of my predicted grades are A*A* for Maths and FM and the Econ and Politics courses I'm applying to are at Bristol and Durham.
Bump
Bump
Final bump :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by decoratequail
I'm not sure whether switching my options for Econ and Politics for pure Econ means I'm more likely to get an offer since I'm doing FM. I like Econ and Politics more just marginally because it contains some development economics modules. Development economics is primarily talked about throughout my personal statement so it could be more advantageous to opt for the Econ and Politics courses instead. Hence I'm really stuck whether to go for pure Econ or Econ and Politics as I have to secure offers as with 2 of my options I feel like I'm definitely reaching. For reference apart of my predicted grades are A*A* for Maths and FM and the Econ and Politics courses I'm applying to are at Bristol and Durham.

I think pure Economics are usually more competitive than the other variations of the course so I would keep PE, plus FM adds to your PE application, doesn’t subtract and distinguishes you from others
Original post by yesiahh
I think pure Economics are usually more competitive than the other variations of the course so I would keep PE, plus FM adds to your PE application, doesn’t subtract and distinguishes you from others

Hi, completely diffrent question to yours but is it in your opinion better to do PE or PPE. I don't do Fm but I do maths A levels.
Reply 6
Original post by boreduservinnie
Hi, completely diffrent question to yours but is it in your opinion better to do PE or PPE. I don't do Fm but I do maths A levels.

It wholly depends on if you like philosophy or not, however they’re similar degrees and I think PPE would only slightly increase your career prospects in different fields so you should definitely pick on whether you think you want to do 10s of hours or philosophical reading in uni or if you would rather just focus on politics and economics.

However, PE is usually less competitive than PPE at top unis so maybe that would help guide you into a decision.

What did you choose in the end? Maths is a strong subject
Original post by yesiahh
It wholly depends on if you like philosophy or not, however they’re similar degrees and I think PPE would only slightly increase your career prospects in different fields so you should definitely pick on whether you think you want to do 10s of hours or philosophical reading in uni or if you would rather just focus on politics and economics.

However, PE is usually less competitive than PPE at top unis so maybe that would help guide you into a decision.

Oh right, so does it mean that it will limit my career prospects later on?
Reply 9
Oh right, so does it mean that it will limit my career prospects later on?

PE won’t limit your career prospects at all in politics and economics related fields, it’s just that PPE would also obviously open doors in philosophy related ventures but the two degrees are considered to be very similar so you should only consider whether you actually have true genuine interest in philosophy as well.

Something interesting of note, my older sister mentioned something about how philosophy students will be more sought after in the future as AI technology develops and the ethics of it is brought into question ☺️ I found that pretty interesting but however I still chose to apply for PE
Original post by yesiahh
PE won’t limit your career prospects at all in politics and economics related fields, it’s just that PPE would also obviously open doors in philosophy related ventures but the two degrees are considered to be very similar so you should only consider whether you actually have true genuine interest in philosophy as well.

Something interesting of note, my older sister mentioned something about how philosophy students will be more sought after in the future as AI technology develops and the ethics of it is brought into question ☺️ I found that pretty interesting but however I still chose to apply for PE

Ah ok, its just some unis don't offer PPE. If you don't mind me asking could you give me tips on what you did to get into PE and where did you apply to
Ah ok, its just some unis don't offer PPE. If you don't mind me asking could you give me tips on what you did to get into PE and where did you apply to

More unis don’t offer pure PE tbh. I applied for Political Economy in Kings and HPE in UCL and got offers. I got rejected by Warwick for Politics, Economic and International Studies and I’m still waiting for LSE and Notts for PE.

I’m an international American curriculum student so I can’t help much with A levels. For my personal statements, I focused solely on politics and economics for LSE and didn’t even mention history and international studies and I mentioned how I did MUN and debate in school.
Original post by yesiahh
More unis don’t offer pure PE tbh. I applied for Political Economy in Kings and HPE in UCL and got offers. I got rejected by Warwick for Politics, Economic and International Studies and I’m still waiting for LSE and Notts for PE.

I’m an international American curriculum student so I can’t help much with A levels. For my personal statements, I focused solely on politics and economics for LSE and didn’t even mention history and international studies and I mentioned how I did MUN and debate in school.

I have also particpated in multiple MUN in your personal statement if you focus on a two subjects say politics and economics does it limit your chances of things like History and philosophy? Also congrats on your offers!
I have also particpated in multiple MUN in your personal statement if you focus on a two subjects say politics and economics does it limit your chances of things like History and philosophy? Also congrats on your offers!

I honestly have no idea if they would limit your chances, however PPE is a very popular course so the competition is high so if you are going to apply for PPE, I would recommend you mention all 3 in your PS. I think even a paragraph for philosophy and relating it to political economy would be enough if you would rather focus on PE. I don’t think HPE is the most popular course ever in UCL so I think I was able to get away with not mentioning history at all in my PS.
Original post by yesiahh
I honestly have no idea if they would limit your chances, however PPE is a very popular course so the competition is high so if you are going to apply for PPE, I would recommend you mention all 3 in your PS. I think even a paragraph for philosophy and relating it to political economy would be enough if you would rather focus on PE. I don’t think HPE is the most popular course ever in UCL so I think I was able to get away with not mentioning history at all in my PS.

Alright, Thank you so much. Hope you get into them unis good luck!
Alright, Thank you so much. Hope you get into them unis good luck!

Thank youu! Hope you do well as well ☺️
Original post by Wired_1800
What did you choose in the end? Maths is a strong subject

In the end I chose Econ and Pol for Bristol and Durham, PPE for UCL and Warwick, and Pure Econ for Bath.
Results aren't looking great so far :mad:: Bristol + Warwick rejected, 1 offer from Bath, still waiting on UCL and Durham
In the end I chose Econ and Pol for Bristol and Durham, PPE for UCL and Warwick, and Pure Econ for Bath.
Results aren't looking great so far :mad:: Bristol + Warwick rejected, 1 offer from Bath, still waiting on UCL and Durham

Bath is decent. If you get into Durham or UCL, you have a good spread. Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending