The Student Room Group

What Are my Chances at Offers as a 'Mature Student' with a HNC?

Hi all, I recently just got a rejection letter from University of Edinburgh (no surprises there) citing that my qualifications, gained or predicted, do not meet their requirements.

I'm Scottish and 22, so my standard grade highers will be outdated, and their requirements noted that, so realistically my only chance was for a predicted Higher National Certificate pass, which they propose conditionally.

Through this rejection, I'm now very worried about my other university applications, as I all I rely on at this moment is my predicted Higher National Certificate pass this year in May. :frown: Not exactly sure how to feel that that's all I had to propose and UoE rejected me very quickly, on the UCAS deadline even.

For some further context, my highers were CDD and national 5s were ABB so I wouldn't have made UoE's standard requirements regardless, which I guess is further clarity.

Anyone have any experience/insight as to whether universities deem someone like me - a 'mature student' whose standard grades won't mean very much, and can realistically only offer a college certificate towards applications? Can't tell if I'm just being overly worried about only being able to offer a HNC as a mature student, or that UoE are just simply that strict.

My other two hopeful universities were Aberdeen's Robert Gordon University and University of Aberdeen, for those wondering.
(edited 1 year ago)
Let's wait and see, don't jump to a conclusion. In the interim time, work hard at what you are doing. If you don't receive an offer from your second choice, perhaps, consider enrolling on a level 3 apprenticeship, that's if you have not done one already. Select a training closest to your career aspirations. You could consider saving up and sitting external Highers or A-levels exams. Alternatively, try for an online degree with Open University, LSE, London University etc.

In the meantime consider posting up what you desire to study at University.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending