The Student Room Group

What have been your biggest struggles while preparing your Ucas application?

The Ucas early consideration deadline is over, and most of us have now submitted our uni applications. Phew!

How are you feeling? Congratulations on getting your application in if you have!

Hopefully you're feeling a little better if it's been submitted, but what were your biggest struggles getting it done?

Was your personal statement your arch nemesis, or could you not find all your GCSE exam board information no matter how hard you tried?

Did you struggle thinking of extra curriculars, or find it hard getting relevant work experience?

Now's the time to let it all out, and start thinking positively about what's to come!

If you've already started getting offers, don't forget to let us know in our Offers thread :biggrin:
Definitely was my personal statement. Felt like I was making an essay.

Even now, it has me slightly concerned about whether I've put the right words down on paper, or worded it the right way that I wanted. I worked on it for weeks and had it reviewed by many so I'm confident I've put my best foot forward towards the universities I've applied to.

Personal statements feel like torture because can be what determines you going to your dream university and setting yourself up for a great career in the field you're passionate about, or go back to the drawing board.
Original post by bobby_star
Definitely was my personal statement. Felt like I was making an essay.

Even now, it has me slightly concerned about whether I've put the right words down on paper, or worded it the right way that I wanted. I worked on it for weeks and had it reviewed by many so I'm confident I've put my best foot forward towards the universities I've applied to.

Personal statements feel like torture because can be what determines you going to your dream university and setting yourself up for a great career in the field you're passionate about, or go back to the drawing board.

The personal statement can feel like such a challenge can't it :frown: I'm sure you manage to convey what you wanted to!

Did you have any tips for writing your personal statement that may help any other TSR users? :smile:
Ah, the first step of the matrix - get into uni and then get your 9-5! well done everyone, the matrix is proud of you
Choosing which uni to apply to...
Original post by StrawberryDreams
Did you have any tips for writing your personal statement that may help any other TSR users? :smile:

My biggest tip: make it all related! It sounds so simple on paper, but it's so easy to go off on tangents.

For example, sure I can talk about my athletics skills in my PS, but what's the point if I can't relate that to why I want to study business management? Ends up being superfluous information and a waste of word count. Have to be very careful about making sure your skills and abilities stay relevant to your field of study.

P.S applying athletics to business management = good teamworking and communication skills, leadership and delegation when playing, critical thinking with others towards the same goal, everybody is motivated as a result of good productivity across the team. :smile: No good just saying "I'm good at football, I can play with others".
Probably the PS. I went through eighteen drafts before settling on my current one. I would go line by line and reword things when I wasn't satisfied. I wouldn't say it was difficult, because I always knew what to write in it, but getting the right words down on paper took a while :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending