The Student Room Group

How does UCAS extra work when applying for a different course?

Can anyone give me some advice? Been rejected from all of my uni choices so I plan on going through UCAS extra, but for a different course than the one I originally applied for. If anyone knows how it works and how I can apply for a different course any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Original post by Ellawitcher_
Can anyone give me some advice? Been rejected from all of my uni choices so I plan on going through UCAS extra, but for a different course than the one I originally applied for. If anyone knows how it works and how I can apply for a different course any help would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Hi @Ellawitcher_

If you included five choices on your application, have received decisions from all five and weren’t accepted, you will be able to use UCAS Extra. Unfortunately, if you are applying for a different subject you can’t change your personal statement. However, it’s a good idea to contact the university you wish to apply for, explain to them you’ve changed your mind on the subject area and ask whether you can send them a amended personal statement.

Please note UCAS Extra doesn't open until 25th February.

Once UCAS Extra opens you will be able to search all the courses available to apply for via the UCAS search tool and add the course to your application.

Further information about UCAS Extra can be found here: ww.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Pippa

Course Enquiries Team
Original post by EdgeHillStudents
Hi @Ellawitcher_
If you included five choices on your application, have received decisions from all five and weren’t accepted, you will be able to use UCAS Extra. Unfortunately, if you are applying for a different subject you can’t change your personal statement. However, it’s a good idea to contact the university you wish to apply for, explain to them you’ve changed your mind on the subject area and ask whether you can send them a amended personal statement.
Please note UCAS Extra doesn't open until 25th February.
Once UCAS Extra opens you will be able to search all the courses available to apply for via the UCAS search tool and add the course to your application.
Further information about UCAS Extra can be found here: ww.ucas.com/undergraduate/after-you-apply/types-offer/extra-choices.
I hope this helps and good luck!
Pippa
Course Enquiries Team

Hi, I’m currently in this same situation and was wondering if I applied for a different course as an extra and was unsuccessful, would I be able to reapply for my original course which I have been rejected from via clearing after I get my results?
Original post by abigailrosel
Hi, I’m currently in this same situation and was wondering if I applied for a different course as an extra and was unsuccessful, would I be able to reapply for my original course which I have been rejected from via clearing after I get my results?

Did you ask for extra feedback on the reason you were rejected?

If you’re rejected by your Extra choice then you can apply for a different Extra choice until July comes. At that point if you don’t hold a place then you are in Clearing.

You can contact any university about clearing vacancies (it’s just a phone call) but depending on the reasons for rejection and if they have vacancies then there’s no guarantee of an offer.
Original post by PQ
Did you ask for extra feedback on the reason you were rejected?
If you’re rejected by your Extra choice then you can apply for a different Extra choice until July comes. At that point if you don’t hold a place then you are in Clearing.
You can contact any university about clearing vacancies (it’s just a phone call) but depending on the reasons for rejection and if they have vacancies then there’s no guarantee of an offer.
Okay thank you! How do I go about asking the university about the reason for rejection? Also, within clearing can I ask about any course and personal statement doesn’t matter? Just concerned about if I send a different personal statement off my original one for the other course will not be there on UCAS (or is the new personal statement via email only?)
Original post by abigailrosel
Okay thank you! How do I go about asking the university about the reason for rejection? Also, within clearing can I ask about any course and personal statement doesn’t matter? Just concerned about if I send a different personal statement off my original one for the other course will not be there on UCAS (or is the new personal statement via email only?)

Feedback is usually via email - find a general address for admissions if you can.

Personal statement will be irrelevant in most cases for clearing. They're aware that many people will be changing subjects. If they need a new statement, they'll ask for one. Preparing one in advance might be a useful exercise to make sure it's right for you, if you struggle, you may need to rethink.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending