The Student Room Group

courses

hi so I’m in year 13 applying for uni and I applied to DMU my main choice for a course I really want to do.i got given an alternate offer which I don’t really want to do, so given that I obviously get the the grades, is there still any way I can go through clearing or end up doing the course and changing when I start?
Have you asked for feedback on why you were rejected for your chosen course?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you asked for feedback on why you were rejected for your chosen course?

no but I had the grade requirements and work experience so I’m not sure if it’s just cause it’s competitive but I know every year they do clearing for the course so I’m a bit confused
Original post by lucidluvr
no but I had the grade requirements and work experience so I’m not sure if it’s just cause it’s competitive but I know every year they do clearing for the course so I’m a bit confused

Ask for feedback first.

And then ask them if there's any possibility of being reconsidered at a later date.

Don't accept the offer based on a possibility of getting switched over - there's zero guarantees.

Which course? What are your grades, including any GCSE requirements?
hi so I’m in year 13 applying for uni and I applied to DMU my main choice for a course I really want to do.i got given an alternate offer which I don’t really want to do, so given that I obviously get the the grades, is there still any way I can go through clearing or end up doing the course and changing when I start?

Hi there @lucidluvr 😊

I'm sorry to hear that you did not receive an offer for the course that you really want to do. Sometimes this happens when a particularly competitive course receives a lot of applications, or perhaps you're predicted just outside of the requirements needed, or other reasons.

As @PQ mentioned, you can ask for feedback or perhaps reasoning from the Admissions Team directly. They would have offered an alternative course that was as similar as possible that you would be eligible for if for any reason you perhaps weren't suitable for the programme you originally applied for😌

Depending on the exact circumstances and situation you may be advised to apply another Academic Year instead, as it might not be possible to see if the programme is available during Clearing, especially if it is very popular!

As for Transfers, these may be possible but there is - as someone mentioned - no guarantee. If a large volume of students wish to transfer from one programme to another after the first year - if that is possible based on the level of overlap and suitability of transferring credits from one to the other - then there will be a competitive edge to the process. There is also a requirement of at least 65% (or more depending on the programme) must be achieved from that first year of studies. It can be a very stressful process and perhaps not the favoured route! 😕

You can clarify if there may be a chance or other programmes (more towards your career goals & up your alley!) instead with the team here: +44(0)116 207 8443 ☎️ (Lines are open Monday-Friday 09:00AM-17:00PM UK Time and Term Time only) 📱

I hope this helped (a little)!
-Rose🌹, De Montfort University Rep.
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending