The Student Room Group
London South Bank University
London

Racist uni

Hi, I feel as though I have been discriminated against for my ethnicity or religion. Last week Tuesday I was in my first lesson being taught by …….. Students were told to pick their own groups for their university assignment before attending the first lecture. I didn’t do so because I struggled to connect with anyone based on my ethnicity(middle eastern Asian) being a factor to play in it as I’m not white. I was laughed at by students(white students) when in the class as my lecturer went to partner me with one student (white student). I was initially open to be I thought she was okay with partnering with me. As we made plans and fulfilled them by meeting to discuss the work further. However, she used the excuses she’s too busy for it and should simply work alone on her work later that week instead of telling me straight away. I know for a fact if it was another white student she was partnered with she would’ve made it work. It says a lot. My teacher played a part in this too through imitating she would tell the student to separate from me this meaning I will fail this group project module. My lecturer had not made this fair and just. Wednesday complaintMy lecturer clearly treated me completely different on Wednesday when I was slightly late to my lesson. She treated me compely different to this guy student who came in the lesson. That’s when she said she would separate me from my group telling me she would tell the girl not to work with me through that same conversation where the teacher never said anything like that to the guy student. When confronted the teacher said it’s because he decided to pick his group whereas I was assigned mine. How am I being treated equality? I was being interrogated even though I have done nothing to the lecturer. She bombarding me with questions suggesting it’s to with my makeup. Stereotyping me for taking long to get ready. She tried to make me look dumb going back and forth with questions. Where was this energy for the guy student. This isn’t the first time it’s happened it’s happened before but it’s the first time I’m speaking out. In the end the lesson it topped it all when the lecturer failed to assign me to a brand for my assignment. She called out every single person in the class except me. She may say she forgot however I 100% doubt this as I had a conversation with her 10 minutes prior to this situation.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Slondonn
Hi, I feel as though I have been discriminated against for my ethnicity or religion. Last week Tuesday I was in my first lesson being taught by …….. Students were told to pick their own groups for their university assignment before attending the first lecture. I didn’t do so because I struggled to connect with anyone based on my ethnicity(middle eastern Asian) being a factor to play in it as I’m not white. I was laughed at by students(white students) when in the class as my lecturer went to partner me with one student (white student). I was initially open to be I thought she was okay with partnering with me. As we made plans and fulfilled them by meeting to discuss the work further. However, she used the excuses she’s too busy for it and should simply work alone on her work later that week instead of telling me straight away. I know for a fact if it was another white student she was partnered with she would’ve made it work. It says a lot. My teacher played a part in this too through imitating she would tell the student to separate from me this meaning I will fail this group project module. My lecturer had not made this fair and just. Wednesday complaintMy lecturer clearly treated me completely different on Wednesday when I was slightly late to my lesson. She treated me compely different to this guy student who came in the lesson. That’s when she said she would separate me from my group telling me she would tell the girl not to work with me through that same conversation where the teacher never said anything like that to the guy student. When confronted the teacher said it’s because he decided to pick his group whereas I was assigned mine. How am I being treated equality? I was being interrogated even though I have done nothing to the lecturer. She bombarding me with questions suggesting it’s to with my makeup. Stereotyping me for taking long to get ready. She tried to make me look dumb going back and forth with questions. Where was this energy for the guy student. This isn’t the first time it’s happened it’s happened before but it’s the first time I’m speaking out. In the end the lesson it topped it all when the lecturer failed to assign me to a brand for my assignment. She called out every single person in the class except me. She may say she forgot however I 100% doubt this as I had a conversation with her 10 minutes prior to this situation.

You didn't make a group yourself, you were late ...

You are making a tonne of assumptions and not providing any evidence that ethnicity or religion are relevant.

Are there no other ethnic minority people in your class?
London
Hi, I feel as though I have been discriminated against for my ethnicity or religion. Last week Tuesday I was in my first lesson being taught by …….. Students were told to pick their own groups for their university assignment before attending the first lecture. I didn’t do so because I struggled to connect with anyone based on my ethnicity(middle eastern Asian) being a factor to play in it as I’m not white

I’m not sure why you need to be the same ethnicity/skin colour as someone to connect with them? It seems like you have made it an issue because I’m sure if you look past visual differences there will be common interests (you are literally on the same course).

I was laughed at by students(white students) when in the class as my lecturer went to partner me with one student (white student).

What does the colour of their skin have anything to do with them laughing at you? Yes no one should be laughing at you but it seems you are more upset they are white than the fact they laughed at you. Would you have been this upset if a black or Asian student laughed at you? And for that matter would you have even mentioned their skin colour?

I know for a fact if it was another white student she was partnered with she would’ve made it work

Again quite an assumption because you just don’t know that and would you say the same for a student of a different skin colour?

It says a lot.

Nope it doesn’t, you’ve created an idea in your head and then made assumptions based on that idea.

My teacher played a part in this too through imitating she would tell the student to separate from me this meaning I will fail this group project module. My lecturer had not made this fair and just. Wednesday complaintMy lecturer clearly treated me completely different on Wednesday when I was slightly late to my lesson.

I do think there sounds like more to this, but at face value this would need to be spoken to someone about as they shouldn’t be singling anyone out. Although to immediately say they are discriminating of racist is a bit of a jump.

She treated me compely different to this guy student who came in the lesson. That’s when she said she would separate me from my group telling me she would tell the girl not to work with me through that same conversation where the teacher never said anything like that to the guy student.

You’ve been very quick to point out everyone’s race so far but now he’s just a guy student not a ‘white’ guy student so is that you proving my previously point that if they aren’t white their race isn’t relevant? And is you mentioning that he’s a guy an attempt at insinuating they are also sexist? Again I’m a bit confused what you are trying to claim because you are throwing around labels but these labels keep changing.

She bombarding me with questions suggesting it’s to with my makeup. Stereotyping me for taking long to get ready.

Again it’s a bit strange but comments about your makeup are nothing to do with race/religion/ethnicity.
This is something you can make a complaint about but makeup is not a protected characteristic.

Where was this energy for the guy student.

Again I’m confused, is the issue you’re a girl, your ethnicity, your race, your religion, or your makeup?

This isn’t the first time it’s happened it’s happened before but it’s the first time I’m speaking out. In the end the lesson it topped it all when the lecturer failed to assign me to a brand for my assignment. She called out every single person in the class except me. She may say she forgot however I 100% doubt this as I had a conversation with her 10 minutes prior to this situation.

A simple conversation with her after the session could have helped this, or even just by dropping her an email. I have known tutors to single random people out for no obvious reason throughout my time in education just because for whatever reason they dislike the student in question.
It probably started with them having to put you in a group with someone, as an adult they would expect you could probably just get over ‘not being friends’ with people for the sake of your work and just get on with it. If you had explained to her you had reached out to multiple students and they had all turned you down that would be a different story.
I could be wrong but It does sound a bit like when you were asked to get into groups you've just kinda shut down and started a 'Me VS Them' vibe, and you seem to be discriminating on your ethnicity or religion more than anyone else is?
I really do not want to invalidate your feelings but I am just a little confused here. What makes you think she wasn’t trying hard enough because of racism? Unless she has had a racist past. I’m black and if it were me, I would’ve just assumed she was lazy but idk you tell me!
Original post by Riotriot
I would’ve just assumed she was lazy but idk you tell me!

Exactly, since she was the other one who for whatever reason wouldn't join a group, they'll have their own reasons

No point dancing about it, whenever group work is mentioned a lot of students get a bit emotionally flimsy and you will see those every year/module who just choose not to work with others until special/solo arrangements are made for them.
Reply 6
Original post by Riotriot
I really do not want to invalidate your feelings but I am just a little confused here. What makes you think she wasn’t trying hard enough because of racism? Unless she has had a racist past. I’m black and if it were me, I would’ve just assumed she was lazy but idk you tell me!

Well it’s not true. I called them out for their action of only partnering with English people and the teacher didn’t say anything back nor did the student. It’s nothing to do with being lazy when she partnered up with a white student the following week on a new module.

A lot of ethnic people studying my module left the course last year
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by threeportdrift
You didn't make a group yourself, you were late ...

You are making a tonne of assumptions and not providing any evidence that ethnicity or religion are relevant.

Are there no other ethnic minority people in your class?

Majority of them left

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending