The Student Room Group
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website

Child Nursing @ Sheffield Hallam - poor guardian rankings

Hi..does anyone know why they rank quite poorly in this (39th)? <My other options are Northumbria (1st) , Manchester (8th) but prefer Sheffield as a city.>
Reply 1
I am a current student on this course with SHU & I would really not recommend the course in its current state. Other fields of practice seem to have similar experiences and the university really seems to be struggling at the moment managing the large amounts of students.
City campus, Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield Hallam University
Sheffield
Visit website
Oh dear, is everyone unhappy? Is there a large drop-out rate?
Reply 3
i am not sure exactly how many dropped out but there was a few!! most are 'content' with the course from what i gather but it is a shame to see the University fall down in rankings - but I can see why it has has happened. there does seem to be a lot of issues with nursing courses with other universities too at the moment but the city is great i can't lie about that!
Thanks for reply. Would you mind answering a few more Qs?

- is it 120 students? <Most Uni take 60>

- is the support good from the department?

- How's the travel to the placements?

- Is there a Hall of residence that suits Healthcare students more than others?
Have no idea about nursing or Sheffield Hallam given I have applied to study law at completely different universities, but the Guardian’s ranking are known to be highly dubious compared to other league tables. Just throwing that out there. Might also be worth checking more reputable ones for a more accurate picture! :smile:
Reply 6
hey again!

- is it 120 students? <Most Uni take 60>

yes! all the cohorts are extremely big compared to others

- is the support good from the department?

the support is good however sometimes there can be delays in responses. all of the child nursing staff are great.

- How's the travel to the placements?

this is impossible to say - the placement catchment area covers Sheffield, Barnsley, Doncaster & Derbyshire (Chesterfield). There are a couple of other possible placements but it totally depends on where you are allocated. You can choose 'preferred' areas but they are not guaranteed.

- Is there a Hall of residence that suits Healthcare students more than others?

i don't live in halls of residence so i can't answer this one sorry!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi..does anyone know why they rank quite poorly in this (39th)? <My other options are Northumbria (1st) , Manchester (8th) but prefer Sheffield as a city.>

Hi,

We're glad you like Sheffield city, we've got a great student life here with lots of friendly faces and green spaces too.

Best wishes,
Phoebe

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending