The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2024 entry - any idea on any next steps?

Hi everyone, I've recently been thinking about uni and I am 90% sure it is Dentistry that I want to study. I'm currently lower 6th.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything else I could do to maximise my application next year, see below what I already do :smile: Any help at all is very appreciated - I feel as though the work experience will be really lacking.

GCSEs - 999999988

Work experience:
- Will do 3 days in the dental practice (school won't insure me for any longer :/)
-Part-time job in the supermarket

Extra-curriculars:
-School musical

Volunteering:
-I will be volunteering in a children's summer camp this year
-Tutor younger kids who struggle with numeracy
Original post by vantaged
Hi everyone, I've recently been thinking about uni and I am 90% sure it is Dentistry that I want to study. I'm currently lower 6th.

I was wondering if anyone knew anything else I could do to maximise my application next year, see below what I already do :smile: Any help at all is very appreciated - I feel as though the work experience will be really lacking.

GCSEs - 999999988

Work experience:
- Will do 3 days in the dental practice (school won't insure me for any longer :/)
-Part-time job in the supermarket

Extra-curriculars:
-School musical

Volunteering:
-I will be volunteering in a children's summer camp this year
-Tutor younger kids who struggle with numeracy

everything your doing sounds great. try and get as much work experience as u can but u seem to have a good spread already going/planned for summer which is great - remember the most important thing is to make sure you reflect well on whatever you do and link it back to dentistry. some people may be do 1 day's worth of work experience some may do a year; whats most important is how you reflect on it. med/dent schools know its not easy to get work experience so as long as you have some experience that you can reflect on thats the main thing

work hard for your year 12 mocks/end of years as these will most likely form the base for ur ucas predictions. over summer you want to focus on ur ucat and not worry about having to resit exams to try and get predicted grades up

other than that make sure u make time to enjoy your time in sixth form and in general too. yr 13 isnt the end of the world (tho it defo does feel like it at times) and esp w dentistry youll have to spend time on preparing for interviews alongside keeping up w ur studies so make the most of the time you have now

good luck with everything!
Reply 2
Original post by someonerandom23
everything your doing sounds great. try and get as much work experience as u can but u seem to have a good spread already going/planned for summer which is great - remember the most important thing is to make sure you reflect well on whatever you do and link it back to dentistry. some people may be do 1 day's worth of work experience some may do a year; whats most important is how you reflect on it. med/dent schools know its not easy to get work experience so as long as you have some experience that you can reflect on thats the main thing

work hard for your year 12 mocks/end of years as these will most likely form the base for ur ucas predictions. over summer you want to focus on ur ucat and not worry about having to resit exams to try and get predicted grades up

other than that make sure u make time to enjoy your time in sixth form and in general too. yr 13 isnt the end of the world (tho it defo does feel like it at times) and esp w dentistry youll have to spend time on preparing for interviews alongside keeping up w ur studies so make the most of the time you have now

good luck with everything!

thanks so much for the quick reply! fortunately Northern Ireland still does modular a-levels so I will be sitting my AS exams this year and not mocks.
thanks so much for the quick reply! fortunately Northern Ireland still does modular a-levels so I will be sitting my AS exams this year and not mocks.

ahaha no worries...im procrastinating revision for mocks so jumped on here to answer people's questions

ah i dont know how the NI exam system works...so would you apply to unis with your AS results?
Reply 4
ahaha no worries...im procrastinating revision for mocks so jumped on here to answer people's questions

ah i dont know how the NI exam system works...so would you apply to unis with your AS results?

yep! so I had mocks last week, and then I will have study leave from May, sit my AS exams and receive the results on A-level results day, so when I apply I will send off my AS grades along with my teachers' predicted A-level grade.
I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Maths, but probably going to drop maths after AS.

What do you study?
(edited 1 year ago)
yep! so I had mocks last week, and then I will have study leave from May, sit my AS exams and receive the results on A-level results day, so when I apply I will send off my AS grades along with my teachers' predicted A-level grade.
I'm currently doing Biology, Chemistry, Spanish and Maths, but probably going to drop maths after AS.

What do you study?

oooo interestinggg

i do bio chem and history and i took an epq in yr12. ive applied to study medicine so guess well have to see how that goes
Reply 6
oooo interestinggg

i do bio chem and history and i took an epq in yr12. ive applied to study medicine so guess well have to see how that goes

good luck!! wishing you all the best with your medicine application!
good luck!! wishing you all the best with your medicine application!

thank you!! and all the best for your dentistry application when the time comes!!
hey which practise is it lol im struggling to find work experience
Reply 9
Original post by Maya4533
hey which practise is it lol im struggling to find work experience

it’s a local family practice in my town, I tend to find the local family-owned practices are more open to taking on work experience students than the bigger chains such as bupa etc
Universities know it is hard to get in person experience post Covid so if there isn’t much you can get in person I wouldn’t worry - id try find online ones or webinars etc
it’s a local family practice in my town, I tend to find the local family-owned practices are more open to taking on work experience students than the bigger chains such as bupa etc
Universities know it is hard to get in person experience post Covid so if there isn’t much you can get in person I wouldn’t worry - id try find online ones or webinars etc

thankyou for the help :smile:
Does anyone know of any volunteering opportunities that would be useful for dentistry?
Original post by ManUtd_21
Does anyone know of any volunteering opportunities that would be useful for dentistry?

Hiya! The best way to find volunteering is to call a lot of places such as sensory centres or care homes to see if they have any places available, I volunteered at my local NHS sensory centre and found it useful in the application as I was able to strengthen verbal and non-verbal communication skills!
Okay, thank youuu!
Original post by eloelstudent44
Hiya! The best way to find volunteering is to call a lot of places such as sensory centres or care homes to see if they have any places available, I volunteered at my local NHS sensory centre and found it useful in the application as I was able to strengthen verbal and non-verbal communication skills!

Quick Reply

Latest