The Student Room Group

Living in Spain post-Brexit

Does anyone know if it is even possible to work and live in Spain post-Brexit? For example if you wanted to work as an English teacher?
Reply 1
Original post by ellietest99
Does anyone know if it is even possible to work and live in Spain post-Brexit? For example if you wanted to work as an English teacher?

I think you would need a contract to get a visa. It’s very difficult post brexit to work and study. So sad.
Original post by ellietest99

Very difficult. You will need a work permit and there are plenty of Spanish nationals and other EU citizens who are qualified English teachers so most teaching jobs will be filled rapidly. As for getting Spanish residency? It’s easier and cheaper getting a job as a pilot for NASA!

In my opinion you should try somewhere outside of Europe where you will be more welcome. Turkey is nice for example Antigua and Barbuda are very easy for Brits to live and work in. We have spent many years trying get out of the EU and we finally achieved it. Why would you want to live in an EU country?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tmw1
I think you would need a contract to get a visa. It’s very difficult post brexit to work and study. So sad.

It’s not the end of the world. There’s plenty of countries outside of the EU with sunny weather that are a lot easier and more welcoming for British people to move to. Turkey is an option. Antigua and Barbuda are easy for Brits to settle in etc. We put a lot of effort into leaving the EU so why would anyone want to relocate to a country that’s still in the EU that is punishing us with these new rules and making us feel unwanted? It’s a big world outside of Europe, like it, live it and love it!
The Spanish economy is highly sensitive to British tourism and retirement investment. Give it a couple of years and there will be special residency and citizenship deals for British people, just like they have in Portugal.

I’m not quite sure if they’d be looking for English teachers though. They seem to be doing fairly well on that front without us. They’re probably after engineers who can speak Spanish not teachers who can speak English.
Original post by Trinculo
The Spanish economy is highly sensitive to British tourism and retirement investment. Give it a couple of years and there will be special residency and citizenship deals for British people, just like they have in Portugal.

I’m not quite sure if they’d be looking for English teachers though. They seem to be doing fairly well on that front without us. They’re probably after engineers who can speak Spanish not teachers who can speak English.

I’m not sure having special residency deals with Spain is a good thing because it would have to be reciprocal and that would affect the integrity of Brexit and the independence we fought long and hard for. There are other places outside the EU zone where British people can holiday or live other than Spain or any other EU countries. Spain will survive without us there’s plenty of other tourists from other countries they can attract.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Ambitious1999
I’m not sure having special residency deals with Spain is a good thing because it would have to be reciprocal and that would affect the integrity of Brexit and the independence we fought long and hard for. There are other places outside the EU zone where British people can holiday or live other than Spain or any other EU countries. Spain will survive without us there’s plenty of other tourists from other countries they can attract.

This is the point of Brexit. We can strike any real we want with whoever we want. It can be reciprocal or not. Borders policy is not set by a supranational body with interests other than our own. If we decide to let in a million Spaniards - so be it. We decided that, though - not the EU.
Don't know why most people are giving you terrible advice.

It's VERY easy to get a role in Spain IF you select location wisely. I worked in Spain before the outbreak, returned when it was getting wild. Returned in late 2021.
It's really hard now to work in Europe, especially compared to pre Brexit, what a mess and such a **** situation. Argh Brexit is a disaster.

Some companies do still hire Brits, these sites will help:
seasonal jobs Spain,
gap year jobs in Spain,
teach English in Spain
work in Europe

Quick Reply

Latest