The Student Room Group

Literally no idea which option to choose

I have unconditional offers from Imperial and LSE.

Imperial is Maths, LSE is Maths with Data Science.

I have visited both campuses and honestly found both great for different reasons. LSE seemed much more lively, but Imperial was more eye pleasing and has better accommodation. I cannot decide from visiting alone, so I'm deciding on course and 'branding'.

I want to enter quant/pe/ib at the moment. LSE is better internationally for banking (e.g pe/ib), whereas Imperial has a better Maths course, especially when considering postgraduate opportunities (straight Maths is better for pretty much all masters/phds). This may be relevant if I have a change of heart about my career and want to pursue a masters in, say, computer science or theoretical physics (where ug maths is generally still accepted).

LSE has some unique modules (some economics is covered) and is considered to be less brutal in terms of difficulty. Similarly the career support is generally considered to be stronger. From visiting, the students seemed much more lively (better gender ratio too :biggrin:)

I'm completely stuck - both have their pros and cons and I really can't see which option is better.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by crashcody
I have unconditional offers from Imperial and LSE.

Imperial is Maths, LSE is Maths with Data Science.

I have visited both campuses and honestly found both great for different reasons. LSE seemed much more lively, but Imperial was more eye pleasing and has better accommodation. I cannot decide from visiting alone, so I'm deciding on course and 'branding'.

I want to enter quant/pe/ib at the moment. LSE is better internationally for banking (e.g pe/ib), whereas Imperial has a better Maths course, especially when considering postgraduate opportunities (straight Maths is better for pretty much all masters/phds). This may be relevant if I have a change of heart about my career and want to pursue a masters in, say, computer science or theoretical physics (where ug maths is generally still accepted).

LSE has some unique modules (some economics is covered) and is considered to be less brutal in terms of difficulty. Similarly the career support is generally considered to be stronger. From visiting, the students seemed much more lively (better gender ratio too :biggrin:)

I'm completely stuck - both have their pros and cons and I really can't see which option is better.

1. you're looking at investment banking - LSE is the clear choice. simply because of modules and "internship culture", LSE is better (you mentioned economics modules). you'd be surrounded by people with the same ambitions as you, which can be quite conducive

2. offers for master's/PhD degrees with UG from LSE vs UG from imperial WOULD NOT DIFFER. both unis are equally reputed.

3. i've heard imperial undergrads don't have the time to shower (don't think this is true, but there's a reason the stereotype exists). LSE definitely has a better social scene

4. think about what you would like to gain out of your uni experience - either way, your chances at a master's aren't affected at all. LSE's degree just has a little data science and i don't think it would be an instant no because of this. it's a very competitive uni to get into and postgraduate admissions officers know it.

team LSE here!!
Reply 2
Original post by oprahwindfuryy
1. you're looking at investment banking - LSE is the clear choice. simply because of modules and "internship culture", LSE is better (you mentioned economics modules). you'd be surrounded by people with the same ambitions as you, which can be quite conducive

2. offers for master's/PhD degrees with UG from LSE vs UG from imperial WOULD NOT DIFFER. both unis are equally reputed.

3. i've heard imperial undergrads don't have the time to shower (don't think this is true, but there's a reason the stereotype exists). LSE definitely has a better social scene

4. think about what you would like to gain out of your uni experience - either way, your chances at a master's aren't affected at all. LSE's degree just has a little data science and i don't think it would be an instant no because of this. it's a very competitive uni to get into and postgraduate admissions officers know it.

team LSE here!!

Thanks for the reply! Do you study there?
Original post by crashcody
Thanks for the reply! Do you study there?

nope but i’m in contact with a few alumni from my school that do! this is just my take on your situation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending