The Student Room Group

Is it possible to amend what the statement written by my referee?

I'm an international, and I asked a teacher of mine to submit a reference for me. A few days ago, I found out that she just copied and pasted something from the internet. Is it possible to get this changed now? Or should I withdraw my application?
Have you applied through UCAS?

You can’t amend your reference on UCAS. You can contact each of your universities directly and explain what happened and ask if they require a replacement reference
Original post by pro_monke
I'm an international, and I asked a teacher of mine to submit a reference for me. A few days ago, I found out that she just copied and pasted something from the internet. Is it possible to get this changed now? Or should I withdraw my application?

Hi @pro_monke,

The advice above makes sense. There is no point in withdrawing your application. I'd also recommend getting in touch with the universities and seeing if they require a new reference. Though most references include quite a few details, some simply state in what capacity the referee knows the applicant and for what duration they have known each other. Also, the universities will likely get in touch with you if there is an issue with the reference rather than just rejecting you; this is how it would work at Oxford Brookes University anyway. I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University
Reply 3
Original post by PQ
Have you applied through UCAS?

You can’t amend your reference on UCAS. You can contact each of your universities directly and explain what happened and ask if they require a replacement reference

yeah, I applied through UCAS. Sent UCL a new letter which I made her write, since they asked for reference in school-headed papers. Hoping it works out. I've not been contacted by my other choices yet, but I'll fire an e-mail to them. Thank you!
Reply 4
Thank you. I have not applied to Oxford Brookes, but I will definitely contact all the universities I've applied to. I've already been contacted by one of my choices regarding the reference. I really appreciate the advice coming from an AO, it give me some sort of relief. Once again, thank you!
Original post by OxfordBrookesRep
Hi @pro_monke,

The advice above makes sense. There is no point in withdrawing your application. I'd also recommend getting in touch with the universities and seeing if they require a new reference. Though most references include quite a few details, some simply state in what capacity the referee knows the applicant and for what duration they have known each other. Also, the universities will likely get in touch with you if there is an issue with the reference rather than just rejecting you; this is how it would work at Oxford Brookes University anyway. I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes,
Daniel

Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending