The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

What makes an unsatifactory academic reference?

What the title says. I was wondering what is UCLAN looking for in an academic reference for students. Do they look for any reason why a particular student is suitable for the subject only or much more? I applied last year and got rejected for it from UCLAN even after meeting my grades for the course. Any examples of what you are looking for? Thanks.
Don't know about UCLAN in particular but if your teacher has written a bad reference for you that makes the uni reject your offer, either the teacher has contradicted your ps or predicted grades or has written you out to be unsuitable for the applied course

I know someone whose referee wrote down the wrong name in the reference... but they were not rejected
(edited 9 months ago)
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by toothysmile
Don't know about UCLAN in particular but if your teacher has written a bad reference for you that makes the uni reject your offer, either the teacher has contradicted your ps or predicted grades or has written you out to be unsuitable for the applied course

I know someone whose referee wrote down the wrong name in the reference... but they were not rejected

Wow... I trusted my teacher to write me a good reference and even asked his permission. If this is the case then it is heart breaking knowing that the one you trusted to write something good about you to only end up writing bad that got me rejected. Is it possible for teachers to even write bad references? Aren't references suppose to help the students?
References very rarely make any difference as to whether an offer is made. It’s just a tickbox exercise.

For ‘satisfactory’ they mean someone familiar with your recent academic work.
It's unlikely they wrote you out to be a bad candidate but rather their reference was unsuitable i.e. in med it's important that applicants are good at communication so teacher references should say that this applicant is good at communication in their reference, a reference without this is less strong. However, teachers may not know what to write in your reference (i.e. they may have never done one for your specific uni and course) so it's good (it you are getting another teacher reference) to research the skills required for the course and let your teacher know, also tell them about the relevant things that demonstrate your skills, e.g. Communication - on DofE I communicated route directions with my team. I literally wrote a list of skills and relevant things that I would like my teacher to include - remember you can collaborate with your teacher to write your academic reference!!!
Reply 5
Original post by toothysmile
It's unlikely they wrote you out to be a bad candidate but rather their reference was unsuitable i.e. in med it's important that applicants are good at communication so teacher references should say that this applicant is good at communication in their reference, a reference without this is less strong. However, teachers may not know what to write in your reference (i.e. they may have never done one for your specific uni and course) so it's good (it you are getting another teacher reference) to research the skills required for the course and let your teacher know, also tell them about the relevant things that demonstrate your skills, e.g. Communication - on DofE I communicated route directions with my team. I literally wrote a list of skills and relevant things that I would like my teacher to include - remember you can collaborate with your teacher to write your academic reference!!!

I see. I initially recieved an offer from my uni but the only thing left was the reference. The process took so long that the course already started and I was still waiting for my reference to get through. 2 weeks after the course started, I was told that I was rejected because of unsatisfactory reference. I contacted the uni for further feedback but I did not get any reply. I also emailed my teacher who wrote my reference and he too did not reply. Since then, I always kept wondering as to what went wrong.
Original post by Anonymous
I see. I initially recieved an offer from my uni but the only thing left was the reference. The process took so long that the course already started and I was still waiting for my reference to get through. 2 weeks after the course started, I was told that I was rejected because of unsatisfactory reference. I contacted the uni for further feedback but I did not get any reply. I also emailed my teacher who wrote my reference and he too did not reply. Since then, I always kept wondering as to what went wrong.

I think it’s more likely the fact that the reference was late and the feedback was badly worded / incorrect.
Reply 7
It sounds as though they didn't get a reference.
Original post by Anonymous
What the title says. I was wondering what is UCLAN looking for in an academic reference for students. Do they look for any reason why a particular student is suitable for the subject only or much more? I applied last year and got rejected for it from UCLAN even after meeting my grades for the course. Any examples of what you are looking for? Thanks.

Hi there,

Your academic reference is something that is out of your control, however you can have influence on making your personal statement as strong as possible. If you need any advice on making the most of your personal statement here is a really good resource.

Please try not to worry about what your academic reference says as this isn't something you have access to so it's best not to worry about something that you can't control.

All the best,
Sarah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending