The Student Room Group
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website

Don’t recommend the University of Buckingham

Before visiting the University I was adamant on attending the institution, mostly because of the two year degrees offered.

There is not much about it online ( reason why I am posting this) so I went to visit it instead.

1) they have emailed me almost every other day since the visit, which was over a month ago, on why I should join them. I have unsubscribed but still continue to get way too many emails. A bit strange in itself.

2) Not worth the money. Especially considering the fact that you pay £5k per year out of your own pocket, a lot of the facilities are still very old and not updated. Such as the very small library or old computers. The only somewhat newish thing there was the canteen and bar, otherwise it looked like it hasn’t been changed since the 80s.

Also not to mention the incredibly small campus, you can get from one end to the other in around 1-2 minutes.

3) A lot of bragging and a touch of arrogance. They pride themselves on their oxbridge style teaching but it isn’t anything that other universities aren’t doing either.

4) The person who was guiding me, despite being very nice, didn’t have much to say about the place either. Besides from how amazing they are for their two year degree and amount of students they have, there wasn’t much else she could say and I eventually got the feeling she was also bored.

5) You pay your way to the top there. A lot of the students are quite rich, which makes sense if they’re pulling 5k out of their pockets per year. But it does seem like more priority is given to certain students despite one of their USP’s being how everyone is a person not a number. This is also apparent through their social medias, where they are constantly pushing certain students names on their pages and them students are often the ones receiving a ton of awards.

The plus side is that it seems like quite a supportive environment and everyone seemed quite close, as they say ‘everyone here knows one another,’ which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

This is quite long and detailed but are things I wish I knew whilst I was doing my research on this place.

I think if you’re a home student, just do the extra year at another university and get your money’s worth.
University of Buckingham
University of Buckingham
Buckingham
Visit website
Original post by bxa_842
Before visiting the University I was adamant on attending the institution, mostly because of the two year degrees offered.

There is not much about it online ( reason why I am posting this) so I went to visit it instead.

1) they have emailed me almost every other day since the visit, which was over a month ago, on why I should join them. I have unsubscribed but still continue to get way too many emails. A bit strange in itself.

2) Not worth the money. Especially considering the fact that you pay £5k per year out of your own pocket, a lot of the facilities are still very old and not updated. Such as the very small library or old computers. The only somewhat newish thing there was the canteen and bar, otherwise it looked like it hasn’t been changed since the 80s.

Also not to mention the incredibly small campus, you can get from one end to the other in around 1-2 minutes.

3) A lot of bragging and a touch of arrogance. They pride themselves on their oxbridge style teaching but it isn’t anything that other universities aren’t doing either.

4) The person who was guiding me, despite being very nice, didn’t have much to say about the place either. Besides from how amazing they are for their two year degree and amount of students they have, there wasn’t much else she could say and I eventually got the feeling she was also bored.

5) You pay your way to the top there. A lot of the students are quite rich, which makes sense if they’re pulling 5k out of their pockets per year. But it does seem like more priority is given to certain students despite one of their USP’s being how everyone is a person not a number. This is also apparent through their social medias, where they are constantly pushing certain students names on their pages and them students are often the ones receiving a ton of awards.

The plus side is that it seems like quite a supportive environment and everyone seemed quite close, as they say ‘everyone here knows one another,’ which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it.

This is quite long and detailed but are things I wish I knew whilst I was doing my research on this place.

I think if you’re a home student, just do the extra year at another university and get your money’s worth.

It's a Private university in a small town ... of course it's compact! The 1980s bit is not true. I hsave relatives that live there and the uni have invested a lot far more recently

They offer bursaries to local students - economically you are saving a whole year of tuition and accommodation ...

They do attract a lot of overseas students ...
Reply 3
Original post by Muttley79
It's a Private university in a small town ... of course it's compact! The 1980s bit is not true. I hsave relatives that live there and the uni have invested a lot far more recently

They offer bursaries to local students - economically you are saving a whole year of tuition and accommodation ...

They do attract a lot of overseas students ...

relatives living at Buckingham has no correlation with the standard of the university.

The things they invested in were the decor of the place, such as the bar, canteens and the common room, as stated in the post. The actual facilities themselves and the resources offered, lacked a lot in comparison to other universities. It felt more like a potential sixth form/college visit.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by bxa_842
relatives living at Buckingham has no correlation with the standard of the university.

The things they invested in were the decor of the place, such as the bar, canteens and the common room, as stated in the post. The actual facilities themselves and the resources offered, lacked a lot in comparison to other universities. It felt more like a potential sixth form/college visit.

All the medical stuff is new ... my family members visit as they do outreach stuff. They know a lot of students ... you are wrong.
Reply 5
All the medical stuff is new ... my family members visit as they do outreach stuff. They know a lot of students ... you are wrong.

The medical campus is near Manchester, Crewe Campus, which I didn’t visit.
Original post by bxa_842
The medical campus is near Manchester, Crewe Campus, which I didn’t visit.

No- it's based at Buckingham too - the local surgery is part of the programme.
Reply 7
No- it's based at Buckingham too - the local surgery is part of the programme.

Oh right, I wasn’t aware of that as I didn’t look at the medical campuses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending