The Student Room Group
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website

Unsure about OT

Hi all,

I’m an OT student currently doing an MSc pre-reg at Brunel university.

I’ve just had my first placement, and I’m very unsure if OT is for me and worrying a bit about it.

My placement was in a community team and a lot of it felt like social care. There’s a lot less anatomy and medical learning that I had hoped, and we barely learn anything medical on the actual course, which I really wasn’t expecting.

So I wanted to ask, is there anyone else that has felt like this? Is there an area of OT that is a bit more medical and requires more knowledge in anatomy?

If so, what areas are there? I’ve been thinking that trauma and ortho might be better as it requires MSK knowledge? But this is just me speculating.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Hiya!

Are you still doing occupational therapy at Brunel university? May I ask how you’re finding it now? Sorry this isn’t very helpful but I really like the social care aspect of occupational therapy which is why I’m interested.

I’m looking to apply. Regarding your timetable, is placement towards the end of the year or beginning as is it full time?
Main Concourse, Brunel University
Brunel University London
Uxbridge
Visit website
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hiya!

Are you still doing occupational therapy at Brunel university? May I ask how you’re finding it now? Sorry this isn’t very helpful but I really like the social care aspect of occupational therapy which is why I’m interested.

I’m looking to apply. Regarding your timetable, is placement towards the end of the year or beginning as is it full time?

Hi, I wouldn't advise OT at Brunel. There have been a lot of issues with the course
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi, I wouldn't advise OT at Brunel. There have been a lot of issues with the course

Hi,

Thank you for your honest advice. I've heard this too from others, sadly.
I was told how they struggled to give students placements, with some not having placement at all when they were supposed to, which is shocking.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Hi! Do you know if there are any issues with Brunel Physio?
I'm not sure about Brunel physio sorry. Brunel Occupational Therapy has been terrible though. Placements not being allocated. Confusing timetables, lack of support from teachers, a lot of changes, we really haven't been taught anything. It's actually been quite an unpleasant environment. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to go to Brunel for OT, especially international students - pay the extra back home and get a proper education.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
I'm not sure about Brunel physio sorry. Brunel Occupational Therapy has been terrible though. Placements not being allocated. Confusing timetables, lack of support from teachers, a lot of changes, we really haven't been taught anything. It's actually been quite an unpleasant environment. I wouldn't recommend to anyone to go to Brunel for OT, especially international students - pay the extra back home and get a proper education.

No worries! Still valuable information regarding rehabilitation sciences in Brunel.
Hiya

Just to let you know that the OT course at Brunel has been restructured this year in order to align more closely with the Royal college of Occupational Therapists. With this there have obviously been some changes requiring differing timetables - all in all it's a positive change though with the aim of emulating real life practice and covering new exciting elements of occupational therapy.

In terms of placements there was a shortage throughout covid due to hospitals and healthcare settings not allowing students in etc. To my knowledge this has been resolved now and everyone got a placement in the undergrad this year.

Hope that helps,

Brunel Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending