The Student Room Group

Social work vs OT or SaLT

I am a mature student and undecided as to which one of these 3 courses I should choose. I am quite shy so have been drawn to the field of social work as it offers opportunities to later do systemic therapy which I would eventually want to go into, working 1.1 with families. I also have an undergraduate degree already in a different field and l feel like doing a Masters in Social Work would be moving forward, as I would be acquiring more advanced skills like research skills etc.

However I have also received an offer to study Bsc Occupational Therapy and have an interview for a Bsc in Speech and Language Therapy. I am really at crossroads now as I don’t know which course might be better suited for me.

Work life balance is important, the reason why I am drawn to OT but would also want a career which I would be passionate about. I have done some psychology modules before and did enjoy the subject however there are limited opportunities in the field and it is quite competitive.

Would welcome your opinions
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 1
Hello! I had the EXACT same quandary! I too have a degree already. I received offers for SLT and OT and nearly applied for a social work masters. I accepted my OT offer then was hit with massive regret and managed to change to firm the SLT offer. Only you know what is right for you. Now that I’ve made my decision I absolutely know it is right for me. I’m so excited to start the degree in September! Good luck!
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. What is it that made you regret chosing OT?

Original post by isilbell
Hello! I had the EXACT same quandary! I too have a degree already. I received offers for SLT and OT and nearly applied for a social work masters. I accepted my OT offer then was hit with massive regret and managed to change to firm the SLT offer. Only you know what is right for you. Now that I’ve made my decision I absolutely know it is right for me. I’m so excited to start the degree in September! Good luck!
Reply 3
Original post by Kindcoco
Thanks for the reply. What is it that made you regret chosing OT?

I decided that although I was interested in some aspects of an OT’s role, I wasn’t interested in all aspects. There’s so many different paths OTs can take. I kept looking at the SLT degree web page and feeling sad 😂
Reply 4
I am a mature student and undecided as to which one of these 3 courses I should choose. I am quite shy so have been drawn to the field of social work as it offers opportunities to later do systemic therapy which I would eventually want to go into, working 1.1 with families. I also have an undergraduate degree already in a different field and l feel like doing a Masters in Social Work would be moving forward, as I would be acquiring more advanced skills like research skills etc.

However I have also received an offer to study Bsc Occupational Therapy and have an interview for a Bsc in Speech and Language Therapy. I am really at crossroads now as I don’t know which course might be better suited for me.

Work life balance is important, the reason why I am drawn to OT but would also want a career which I would be passionate about. I have done some psychology modules before and did enjoy the subject however there are limited opportunities in the field and it is quite competitive.

Hi I’m a social worker currently looking into OT and SaLT MSc alternatives to study. Personally social work gives zero work life balance with many of my colleagues burnt out! I’m undecided about which course to apply to next have you now made your mind up?

Hi, did you choose in the end?

I had the dilemma between OT and SALT.
I went for OT because there are probably more places you can work than SALT. For example, I’ve done placements in mental health inpatient ,physical rehab, community and there are so many options. This is because it is one of the only professions where you have training in both mental and physical health.

On the other hand, I have heard that SALT is less physically intense compared to some OT roles. For example, if working in physical OT you will have to help people to mobilise from sitting to standing etc and many are recovering so need support to some extent. However, knowing I will not go into the physical area this doesn’t bother me.

As for social workers, I have worked alongside a few and I would say they do more variety within their role. For example, sorting out finances and entitlements , social/ family/ domestic issues and advocating for patients. Sure there’s much more but I don’t know too much about it.

Out of all the roles, I have seen more stressed social workers, often working way outside of their hours. I haven’t seen the same for OT and SALT in the few settings I’ve been in.
Reply 6
Original post by crinkle cut chip

Hi, did you choose in the end?

I had the dilemma between OT and SALT.
I went for OT because there are probably more places you can work than SALT. For example, I’ve done placements in mental health inpatient ,physical rehab, community and there are so many options. This is because it is one of the only professions where you have training in both mental and physical health.

On the other hand, I have heard that SALT is less physically intense compared to some OT roles. For example, if working in physical OT you will have to help people to mobilise from sitting to standing etc and many are recovering so need support to some extent. However, knowing I will not go into the physical area this doesn’t bother me.

As for social workers, I have worked alongside a few and I would say they do more variety within their role. For example, sorting out finances and entitlements , social/ family/ domestic issues and advocating for patients. Sure there’s much more but I don’t know too much about it.

Out of all the roles, I have seen more stressed social workers, often working way outside of their hours. I haven’t seen the same for OT and SALT in the few settings I’ve been in.

Yes decided on OT for similar reasons there is so much choice of areas to work in and SALT is more limited! How did you find placements? And have you completed your course now?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending