The Student Room Group

Will Uni's give me offfers for Architecture if I haven't done art at A level or GCSE

I have done Business, Maths, Physics A Level but want to do Architecture. Will they consider me if I Haven't done art/art-based subject.
Is it worth doing a UAL awarded Foundation Diploma in Art and Design?
Original post by JeromeValeska:)
I have done Business, Maths, Physics A Level but want to do Architecture. Will they consider me if I Haven't done art/art-based subject.

Some universities like Newcastle University don’t care which subjects you done as long as you have a good portfolio.

It is possible as most architecture courses don't require specific A levels. However, for the majority of unis, a portfolio of your creative work will be required as part of the application process. Do you feel that you do enough art in your own time to be able to produce a portfolio? If you don't, then taking a year out to do Art and Design Foundation Diploma (FAD) is a good option. You don't have to do the course at a uni, plenty of local sixth forms or further education colleges offer them. You will need to work out what option is best for you in terms of fees, etc. There is an FAD FAQ thread that is worth a read:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684

Also, read this thread about developing a portfolio:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7133652#post96239577
Okay thanks I've already applied for 3 FAD's so hopefully I'll get into one without Art A level. I just need to make a portfolio now :/
And are the BSc degree's the ones that don't require art?
And are the BSc degree's the ones that don't require art?

No that's not the case. Bath is a BSc and one of the few unis that has specific entry requirements - it prefers maths and/or physics, and art. You need to look at the entry requirements for the universities you would consider applying to.

Hey @JeromeValeska [s]smile[/s] ! Like @JA03 and @normaw have really helpfully highlighted, a lot of Universities will still accept you without having done an art-based subject. At Reading, we do ask for a portfolio which shows evidence of your creative ability and 3-dimensional understanding, so that's worth keeping in mind. If you are concerned about your portfolio, a Foundation Diploma would be a great choice to build up your confidence but is not considered essential. Our website has some helpful advice on what to include in your portfolio, which you might find helpful!

Best of luck with your portfolio! :smile:

Lottie
GRTUK and Reading alumna (History BA/MA)
Ahh okay Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending