The Student Room Group

Are these good A-level subject choices for architecture?

I've got my enrollment appointment in 10 minutes for college haha but the subjects I have in my application are Art (9 in GCSE), Maths (7 in GCSE), and 3D design (architecture). I've been recently second-guessing whether these are good for me. I was thinking about maybe having Biology in the mix (9 in GCSE) as a 4th subject or maybe even switching Maths for it, as well as considering environmental science as a 4th subject...I'm not sure if that's too much workload. I'm not precisely a maths person but I am willing to gaslight myself into liking it
Original post by Lydia_904
I've got my enrollment appointment in 10 minutes for college haha but the subjects I have in my application are Art (9 in GCSE), Maths (7 in GCSE), and 3D design (architecture). I've been recently second-guessing whether these are good for me. I was thinking about maybe having Biology in the mix (9 in GCSE) as a 4th subject or maybe even switching Maths for it, as well as considering environmental science as a 4th subject...I'm not sure if that's too much workload. I'm not precisely a maths person but I am willing to gaslight myself into liking it

For Architecture at Nottingham, https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/studywithus/ugstudy/courses/UG/Architecture-BArch-Hons-U6UATTRE.html

Grade AAA at A Level and grade 5 (B) in GCSE English, art and maths and one of GCSE physics, chemistry, biology, double science, single science.

After you’ve applied we’ll ask candidates who meet the proposed entry requirements to submit a portfolio of your artwork.

Your portfolio should contain 12 16 images of your work. This can be made up with 3 4 images from each of the following categories:

Your hand drawings
Photographed images
At least one example of a 3D made piece, such as ceramics, fashion or a simple model.
The remaining 3 4 images can include work that is an expansion on sections 1 3 above or use of another medium entirely.

When we look through your portfolio, we’ll want to see your creativity. We’re also interested in how you look at the world around you and visually record it. When thinking about what hand drawings or photographed images to include we’d encourage you to capture something that’s familiar to you such as where you live. That often tells us more about your interests than a drawing or photograph of a famous building.

Your portfolio must not include virtual 3D computer aided designs.  These don’t give us a true understanding of your design skills or how you communicate by hand drawing. 

For A Levels, just follow your passion. They will be difficult, and you will struggle no matter the subject.
Original post by Lydia_904

Have a look the the following thread:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7361710

If you don't enjoy maths, then you could struggle at A level and maths is only a required/preferred subject for a few unis for architecture. It's best to choose subjects you enjoy and will get the best grades in. Environmental science could be a good option as you will look at sustainability in an architecture course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending