The Student Room Group

Choosing Subjects

If I want to pursue medicine or biocheistry/biomedical sciences does this combination for A levels meet the criteria: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Psychology. Thanks!
Reply 1
yes thats a very good combination :smile:
yeah that seems good but I would double check with what some unis require subject wise. I can't imagine they'd want anything else though unless they went for the vague "stem subjects"
Original post by softwd
yes thats a very good combination :smile:

Thank you for the help!!
Original post by ScoutLeopard
yeah that seems good but I would double check with what some unis require subject wise. I can't imagine they'd want anything else though unless they went for the vague "stem subjects"

Yupp I've checked the unis nearby and they usually just want two of the sciences and for medicine bio and chem. Thanks for the advice!!
Original post by harrypottersy
Yupp I've checked the unis nearby and they usually just want two of the sciences and for medicine bio and chem. Thanks for the advice!!

ah sounds good! I assumed as much but it's better to be safe than sorry : )
If I want to pursue medicine or biocheistry/biomedical sciences does this combination for A levels meet the criteria: Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Psychology. Thanks!

Yes that seems a very good combination.
Double check on unis websites to check what their requirements are. But they seem fine to me.

Yes, but you don't need 4 subjects and you gain no benefit from doing 4 subjects (and actually risk spreading yourself too thinly and not getting the high grades you need, at least for medicine). I would strongly suggest only doing 3 subjects unless your school requires you to start with 4 and drop one.

As to which 3 would be best, for medicine or biomedical sciences bio/chem plus either of the two is fine (there is no preference for maths for medicine at any medical school except Cambridge where it's less a preference and more just that those without a third STEM subject tend to be unable to get competitive scores in the BMAT and interview). For biochemistry though maths would be useful background and may be preferred by some unis (e.g. Oxford, maybe Imperial, and it's functionally required for natsci at Cambridge anyway).

Note that the three courses are fairly different in terms of content and professional options so you should also think about what you want to do both academically and longer term. While there is certainly core material covered by all three, there are significant differences otherwise.

Heya!
That is a very good combination, but I recommend sticking to 3 as 4 alvls can get overwhelming. A*A*A* looks better than AABB after all. For medical schools, check out this free comparison tool and see what medical schools typically need :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by artful_lounger
Yes, but you don't need 4 subjects and you gain no benefit from doing 4 subjects (and actually risk spreading yourself too thinly and not getting the high grades you need, at least for medicine). I would strongly suggest only doing 3 subjects unless your school requires you to start with 4 and drop one.

As to which 3 would be best, for medicine or biomedical sciences bio/chem plus either of the two is fine (there is no preference for maths for medicine at any medical school except Cambridge where it's less a preference and more just that those without a third STEM subject tend to be unable to get competitive scores in the BMAT and interview). For biochemistry though maths would be useful background and may be preferred by some unis (e.g. Oxford, maybe Imperial, and it's functionally required for natsci at Cambridge anyway).

Note that the three courses are fairly different in terms of content and professional options so you should also think about what you want to do both academically and longer term. While there is certainly core material covered by all three, there are significant differences otherwise.

Thanks for the advice! Yes my school requires me to do 4 and then you can drop one in year 13.
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
That is a very good combination, but I recommend sticking to 3 as 4 alvls can get overwhelming. A*A*A* looks better than AABB after all. For medical schools, check out this free comparison tool and see what medical schools typically need :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you for the help! My school requires me to take 4 subjects for year 12 and then we have the choice to drop one in year 13 so that's the reason I've chosen these 4 currently.

Quick Reply

Latest