The Student Room Group

Deciding university course

Hey, I just wanted some help really as I know I want to go to university but I’m unsure on what course to choose. I find psychology interesting but then I don’t think it would lead to many jobs. I also like law and crime stuff so I’d like some help as I have no idea what job I want to do.
Hey, I'm Scarlet a third-year law and criminology student,

This is a really difficult decision, and I have definitely been in your position where I felt clueless as to what course to choose.

Do you know what University you want to go to? If you do, then go to the open days there and attend the welcome talks as you can where they talk about the course and modules in depth as this will really show you what content will be covered in the courses. Here, you can also meet some of your teachers and look around the campus which really should help you see if you like the university. I would also say look online and do your research on the university websites and prospectuses as this should help.

Also, look around multiple universities, so you can compare them and see which one is best for you. even once you have chosen your curse, its still good to look at the different unis as they can all offer something different for you.
I did this when applying, I went to a few different unis and when I visited Sheffield Hallam, the teachers and facilities really sold it to me and I realised it was the perfect uni for my course.

Start with researching psychology if this is what you're interested in and do this again for law. At this stage try not to worry about your career yet, just choose a course which actually interests you, as there is nothing worse than choosing a course which you are not interested in, as you just won't enjoy it.

I really hope this helps, if you have any questions about Law and Criminology id be happy to help you.

Scarlet - Sheffield Hallam Student Ambassador

Original post by Anonymous200032
Hey, I just wanted some help really as I know I want to go to university but I’m unsure on what course to choose. I find psychology interesting but then I don’t think it would lead to many jobs. I also like law and crime stuff so I’d like some help as I have no idea what job I want to do.

Hey! When I started at university, I had no idea what job I wanted to do either! In my opinion, it's important to choose a subject that you love, if you find the work interesting then that's the most important thing. Universities offer lots of chances to explore your future career prospects, you'll have the chance to get a part time job, volunteer, go on work placements, which are all great ways to discover what types of work you enjoy outside of your degree.

Universities also offer lots of career guidance, for example, at BCU, we have Careers+ and Grad+, they help students develop lots of employability skills and they also offer application advice, can help with your CV etc., so you'll always be supported.

I'd recommend researching lots of universities and courses and seeing what you like about each of them. Start with psychology if that's what you're interested in and you might be surprised at some of the careers people do after their psychology degree!

It can be really touch and I remember panicking about my career but everything works out and university will help you find something you love!

Hope that helps,
Abbie :smile:

Hi @Anonymous200032,
I agree that choosing a course can be very difficult!
I currently study psychology (which I picked because it was one of my favourite subjects). At the time I had no idea what I wanted to do for a job.
I am about to graduate this year and while psychology doesn't lead directly into a specific job it does keep loads of doors open. For example I was accepted on a masters degree in Human-Computer Interaction (which is a computer science masters) and the application criteria for it included psychology on their list :smile:. I also know people who are going into teacher training now or continuing with psychological research. Similarly loads of jobs (like accountancy/HR etc.) just want you to have a degree, they don't mind what in.
Ultimately I would pick the subject you enjoy the most, the more you like something, the better grades/ more skills you should develop which is great for all jobs!

Best wishes,
Eloise - Lancaster University Student Ambassador
Hi,

The first thing I always tell to people is that they should follow their hearts. If you feel like Psychology is interesting for you, go for it! You will find employment as long as you do something you love.

Additionally, you will be pleased to hear that actually after Psychology you can do a lot more than after many other courses. Why? It is simple. Psychology can be applied to a wide range of different areas. It is not only mental health, but also business, human resources, marketing, justice, education, research, etc. I know what I am saying because I am a second-year Psychology student at De Montfort University.

Just like you, I did not know what I wanted to do in the future, but I have always had a strong interest in Psychology. I listened to my heart and have never regretted the choice I made. After more than a year of exploration of different applications of Psychology, I realised what psychological career I want to pursue in the future.

I hope you will find it helpful! :h:

Take care,

Julia

Hi there,

Below i have curated an article on DECIDING WHICH UNI COURSE TO STUDY

What university should I attend? What course can I study? What degree will give me a future that I desire?
As an aspiring student, you do not wish to make a mistake in choosing a career path and so, you will need to check and recheck before making any decision. There are certain things to consider while choosing a course to study in the university. This article will help you through the process.
You should first consider what you have interest in doing. Consider activities you often do and enjoy doing and pick a course that is in relation to that.

You should consider a course that is practicable in your country. Do not pick a course that cannot fetch you a job in your country. Look into the country’s work space and consider what is better for you.

You should put into consideration if the job that is catching your interest today will be valued in the future. Some jobs might be of great value today and in the future, there might be a replacement for it. So to avoid being disappointed and frustrated in the future, avoid picking courses in that field.
Put into consideration how lucrative the job you will get is. You do not need to do something that will not constantly put food on your table. Most times it is not about passion or interest, it is about the money. Do not go into a course that will make you regret in future.

While picking a course, think of if the course is interesting. Most times you should not pick a course because it is lucrative or you have seen people do it. Check if the modules of the course are an interesting one.

In selecting any course to study in the university, following either of these will help you because when the journey gets though, what will keep you going?

I hope this helps,
Chuks
University of Bradford Alumni Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending