The Student Room Group

Reference request from uni (applying afresh after withdrawing) - encouraging sign?

I've just withdrawn from uni after one semester. I've applied through UCAS for a different course at new universities.

One has asked for a reference from my old uni - I guess to check I did turn up and work, and that I wasn't chucked off my course. All good - reference done.

Do you think they woild only ask for a reference if they were ready to make an offer? I'm so impatient to hear!
Original post by Squidzz
I've just withdrawn from uni after one semester. I've applied through UCAS for a different course at new universities.

One has asked for a reference from my old uni - I guess to check I did turn up and work, and that I wasn't chucked off my course. All good - reference done.

Do you think they woild only ask for a reference if they were ready to make an offer? I'm so impatient to hear!

Well, the fact that they asked you for a reference means that you're still in the running! But they won't have decided yet - I assume you used your old school as a reference, but if you dropped out what the universities really want is a reference provided by the previous university, hence why they asked - they want that info to help them decide.

Don't be discouraged, if they had decided to reject you they wouldn't have bothered, but similarly don't read too much into it.
It may not mean anything, but it’s better than a rejection. Sometimes missing info is picked up by admin staff before any selection decision is made.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending