The Student Room Group

Restarting sixth form

Hi there,

Near the end of of my first term at sixth form I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do medicine for a career. Unfortunately, the only relevant subject that I was doing was chemistry, meaning that I am now in a position where I am behind in biology because I picked it up very late. Also, my third subject which I am doing, French, isn’t going all that well either. It was a nice idea to want to learn a language, but now I am wishing that I had chosen a subject that I am more intuitively good at, such as physics.

Kindly, my school have said that if I continue to lag behind in biology then I can retake it in what they call ‘year 14’. However, having read that many med schools want all A levels to be sat in the same sitting and the fact that I am struggling in French, I am now wondering whether it would be more pragmatic to use the offer of year 14 to restart sixth form all together. This time with the subject combination of chemistry, biology and physics.

I would be interested to know if anyone thinks this is a good idea or did the same / knows anyone who did the same.

Thanks for taking your time to read this.
Original post by Isaac Lees
Hi there,

Near the end of of my first term at sixth form I came to the conclusion that I wanted to do medicine for a career. Unfortunately, the only relevant subject that I was doing was chemistry, meaning that I am now in a position where I am behind in biology because I picked it up very late. Also, my third subject which I am doing, French, isn’t going all that well either. It was a nice idea to want to learn a language, but now I am wishing that I had chosen a subject that I am more intuitively good at, such as physics.

Kindly, my school have said that if I continue to lag behind in biology then I can retake it in what they call ‘year 14’. However, having read that many med schools want all A levels to be sat in the same sitting and the fact that I am struggling in French, I am now wondering whether it would be more pragmatic to use the offer of year 14 to restart sixth form all together. This time with the subject combination of chemistry, biology and physics.

I would be interested to know if anyone thinks this is a good idea or did the same / knows anyone who did the same.

Yes I do think this is a good idea, if u think ur up for it ,in terms of chemistry make sure the content u have learned is strong so when you do chem next year , u can focus more on ur other 2 a-levels ...One of my classmates did that, she was struggling with a-levels cause of certain things so she retook a year , that why she is in my year of classes instead of the one above. Bio , chem , physics are a nice match.
Reply 2
Original post by Chickenunicorn17
Yes I do think this is a good idea, if u think ur up for it ,in terms of chemistry make sure the content u have learned is strong so when you do chem next year , u can focus more on ur other 2 a-levels ...One of my classmates did that, she was struggling with a-levels cause of certain things so she retook a year , that why she is in my year of classes instead of the one above. Bio , chem , physics are a nice match.

Thanks for the reply. May I ask what your friend who restarted sixth form is planning to study at university? (If she plans on going)
Thanks for the reply. May I ask what your friend who restarted sixth form is planning to study at university? (If she plans on going)

Ur welcome, i hope everything is going well for u and she is going to do medicine I think
Reply 4
Hi there,

Most med schools would consider this a resit, unless you started 3 new subjects, so it would actually make little difference, provided you obtained at least ABB first time round, so if you think you are more likely to get AAA by restarting with 1 new subject, then this probably makes most sense, but would limit you from applying to certain med schools who do not accept resits

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending