The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York Uni Help!

I loved York when i went to visit but after seeing bad reviews (e.g. on Halfiax College which I was interested in) and not being able to get the room I want (Derwent College) I'm really worried. I loved it there and preferred it to my other options. Is it just a case of accepting no where is perfect? Or am I making a mistake?
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to study at York! That's brilliant news!

I personally wouldn't let your accommodation dictate your university choice - it ends up being quite a small part of your university life really, as you'll likely be out quite a lot for your degree, at lectures, seminars, etc., and socially, with societies etc. So you won't necessarily spend lots of time in your room, unless you want to, of course. Additionally, you will likely change accommodation after first-year.

Whichever accommodation you find yourself in at York, don't worry if it's not your top choice. In my first year at York, I was allocated my third choice, and initially I was quite upset. But once I'd moved into my accommodation and had got settled, I was really happy there, and not remotely annoyed that I hadn't ended up with my top choice - if I hadn't been allocated the room I was, I wouldn't have met some of my closest friends.

Our accommodation is split across 10 undergraduate colleges. So whichever room type you're in, you'll still be part of a college community, and have access to a range of facilities, from pastoral support, to college music and college sport.

It could be worth checking out our accommodation playlist on our @UoYstudentvlogs YouTube channel to see some room tours to help make your decision.

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:
University of York
York
Original post by University of York
Hi there,

Congratulations on your offer to study at York! That's brilliant news!

I personally wouldn't let your accommodation dictate your university choice - it ends up being quite a small part of your university life really, as you'll likely be out quite a lot for your degree, at lectures, seminars, etc., and socially, with societies etc. So you won't necessarily spend lots of time in your room, unless you want to, of course. Additionally, you will likely change accommodation after first-year.

Whichever accommodation you find yourself in at York, don't worry if it's not your top choice. In my first year at York, I was allocated my third choice, and initially I was quite upset. But once I'd moved into my accommodation and had got settled, I was really happy there, and not remotely annoyed that I hadn't ended up with my top choice - if I hadn't been allocated the room I was, I wouldn't have met some of my closest friends.

Our accommodation is split across 10 undergraduate colleges. So whichever room type you're in, you'll still be part of a college community, and have access to a range of facilities, from pastoral support, to college music and college sport.

It could be worth checking out our accommodation playlist on our @UoYstudentvlogs YouTube channel to see some room tours to help make your decision.

I hope this helps - Hannah :smile:

Thank you! This is really helpful!

I think it's all been so overwhelming so it's easy to get super super worried about anything and everything!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending