The Student Room Group

Nearly crashed

So I’m a learner today I was practicing driving and I came to a corner traffic light I meant to press the brake while approaching but accidentally pressed the accelerator instead (Ik it’s my fault I got told there is no such things as a mistake when driving) but i went so fast and got screamed at loudly to stop, luckily I stopped on time. It’s just really made me scared and now I have barely any confidence driving. I also stalled 3 times in a row while trying to take off at a traffic light and it went green twice but I couldn’t move off causing a big queue behind me and cars beeping their horns and overtaking me, I just feel so terrible 😭
Reply 1
I have been driving for 10+ years now, in many different countries too. I would say this is how most people's first lessons go. I know it's scary, but you have to get back in the car to build confidence, you also might have to find a new instructor that can handle teaching a nervous driver in a calm and patient manner. I remember my dad trying to teach me and just shouting at all the things I was doing wrong, I was a nervous wreck, forgetting the silliest rules. When I got a proper instructor we just chatted and I didn't even realise what a calm driver I was.

Do you have a sticker or plate to say you are a learner driver? This will allow other drivers to be more patient too.

Lastly, if you make a mistake, ask whoever is next to you to guide you to nearest safe place to park. Step out shake it off, breath and get back in.

Good Luck
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m a learner today I was practicing driving and I came to a corner traffic light I meant to press the brake while approaching but accidentally pressed the accelerator instead (Ik it’s my fault I got told there is no such things as a mistake when driving) but i went so fast and got screamed at loudly to stop, luckily I stopped on time. It’s just really made me scared and now I have barely any confidence driving. I also stalled 3 times in a row while trying to take off at a traffic light and it went green twice but I couldn’t move off causing a big queue behind me and cars beeping their horns and overtaking me, I just feel so terrible 😭

I've moved your thread to the Learning to Drive section.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending