The Student Room Group

BPS Psychology

Hii, Looking for a little help. I completed my BSc psychology outside UK and now i'm looking for my Masters in the UK but most of the universities are not providing an BPS accredited degree. What do I do next? If I get an accreditation done, what possible opportunities will I get?
Reply 1
Original post by RitikaM
Hii, Looking for a little help. I completed my BSc psychology outside UK and now i'm looking for my Masters in the UK but most of the universities are not providing an BPS accredited degree. What do I do next? If I get an accreditation done, what possible opportunities will I get?

You should first contact the BPS to find out if the BSc degree you did would make you eligible for graduate basis for chartership (GBC) with them (i.e., if it is equivalent to a BPS-accredited psychology degree). If it is, your MSc wouldn't necessarily need to be accredited by the BPS, unless it acts as step one in certain professional training routes (e.g., forensic psychology). If you would not be eligible for GBC, you would need to complete an MSc Psychology Conversion course that is accredited by the BPS. Without this, you would not be able to practice as, say, a Clinical Psychologist, or in other applied psychology roles, within the UK.
Reply 2
Original post by Nerol
You should first contact the BPS to find out if the BSc degree you did would make you eligible for graduate basis for chartership (GBC) with them (i.e., if it is equivalent to a BPS-accredited psychology degree). If it is, your MSc wouldn't necessarily need to be accredited by the BPS, unless it acts as step one in certain professional training routes (e.g., forensic psychology). If you would not be eligible for GBC, you would need to complete an MSc Psychology Conversion course that is accredited by the BPS. Without this, you would not be able to practice as, say, a Clinical Psychologist, or in other applied psychology roles, within the UK.

Hi nerol,
I just read some of your comments on different forums and it occurred to me if you can help me.
I have a psychology bachelor degree from Iran and now I have several offers for Msc health psychology programs ( accredited by bps). Also, my bachelor’s degree is approved by bps ( having graduate membership).
I’m actually a little worried about the course.
I wonder if I can work as an assistant psychologist or clinical psychologist after graduation? ( There was no accredited clinical course for masters) .
I mean what are my options? I’m a little confused regarding these rules in uk.
My main concern is that would I be able to find proper work in the health psychology field ? and also other psychology subjects?

I really appreciate if you could help me.
Thank you in advance for your time 🙏🏻
@RitikaM
There is some excellent advice on here already for you.

As a follow up, if anyone is wondering whether their UK based course, be it a degree or masters is accredited or not you can check via the BPS website
https://portal.bps.org.uk/Accredited-Courses

I did my MSc Psychology (albeit a conversion course) at Arden University and had a great time

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Reply 4
Original post by Mjh1998
Hi nerol,
I just read some of your comments on different forums and it occurred to me if you can help me.
I have a psychology bachelor degree from Iran and now I have several offers for Msc health psychology programs ( accredited by bps). Also, my bachelor’s degree is approved by bps ( having graduate membership).
I’m actually a little worried about the course.
I wonder if I can work as an assistant psychologist or clinical psychologist after graduation? ( There was no accredited clinical course for masters) .
I mean what are my options? I’m a little confused regarding these rules in uk.
My main concern is that would I be able to find proper work in the health psychology field ? and also other psychology subjects?

I really appreciate if you could help me.
Thank you in advance for your time 🙏🏻

To practice as a psychologist in the UK, you need to train to at least doctorate level, so you would not be able to work as a Clinical Psychologist. You would be eligible to apply for Assistant Psychologist roles, though.

Different psychologist roles have different career paths. To become a Health Psychologist, you would need to complete an accredited MSc in Health Psychology and then a 'level 2' doctoral level qualification. There is more information about this here: https://www.bps.org.uk/health-psychologist-job-profile. To become a Clinical Psychologist, you do not need an accredited MSc, but you do need to complete doctoral-level training (DClinPsy). You can do an MSc, say in Clinical Psychology, but it does not need to be accredited. The BPS careers website is helpful for checking career paths for the different roles (https://www.bps.org.uk/career-options-psychology).

It can be tricky to get your head round the different routes, but I would suggest reading the information about the different roles to see which ones you are interested in, and then figure out what further training you will require.

Quick Reply

Latest