The Student Room Group

Step Up To Social Work 2024

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Paddington123
It wasn't really difficult. It was just the time to read and understand the question.

I’m pretty sure we ll all feel the same. I read really slow due to my ADHD, so I definitely will! Try not to worry there are threads on here where lots of those that were convinced they had messed up have got a placement! Good luck with your assessment day 😊
Reply 81
Original post by Anna.HR
Hi Debbie,

I have my written test on the 9th of June and my interview on the 30th of June in Leeds at St George's Centre :smile:

I wondered if anybody wanted to make a WhatsApp or Teams group to discuss the interview process/preparation.

Hi, exactly the same :smile: im leeds too, hopefully will see you there

I'm up for a whatsapp group
Good luck :-)

Original post by username6218278
I’m the 5th July
Original post by KatDeVall
Hi, I have received an email and have just booked my written exercise for the 15th 🙂

Hi ...ive just done the written assessment ...you need to no and show you're capable under the framework ...its a case study with 4 questions ...I nearly ran out of time ...but I get stressed when the clocks ticking haha fingers crossed its enough ...good luck xxx
Reply 84
Original post by Auntyjenjen
Hi ...ive just done the written assessment ...you need to no and show you're capable under the framework ...its a case study with 4 questions ...I nearly ran out of time ...but I get stressed when the clocks ticking haha fingers crossed its enough ...good luck xxx

Same just done mine too, I got as much as i could down but that time goes quick!
I’m the same - it takes me a while to read and re-read text for my brain to process it. Fingers crossed for you :-)

Original post by JennyEll79
I’m pretty sure we ll all feel the same. I read really slow due to my ADHD, so I definitely will! Try not to worry there are threads on here where lots of those that were convinced they had messed up have got a placement! Good luck with your assessment day 😊
Hiya, there is a Facebook group which has been set up. I have my interview and assessment day in Leeds too!
Reply 87
Original post by zoeturner135679
Hiya, there is a Facebook group which has been set up. I have my interview and assessment day in Leeds too!

Hi Zoe, did you do your written assessment last night? I did and I was surprised with it, I was expecting a case study but certain I ran out of time!
Original post by zoeturner135679

Oh fab what's it called??? Xxx
Reply 89
Original post by Anna.HR
Yes I'd be more than happy to do this, if people are happy to share their numbers :smile:

Hey if a whattsgroup has been made i wouldn't mind being apart of this .
Original post by Anna.HR
Hi Zoe, did you do your written assessment last night? I did and I was surprised with it, I was expecting a case study but certain I ran out of time!

No my written assignment is the end of June I think it’s the 21st and then assessment date is the 29th x
Hello, is anyone doing it in Sunderland?
I have online written assessment Thur 15th
Group/role play via teams on Thur 22nd
And then Assessment day Thur 29th!
Any tips for the written assessment from those that have already completed it?

I found this on an old thread, not sure if will be the same this year but always worth looking over as it all seems relevant..

It will in include: a role play, written exercise which basically involves a risk assessment of a scenario and an action plan of how you would intervene giving justifications for your decisions; a normal interview like you would expect (make sure you have knowledge of human growth and development theories and can briefly acknowledge children's act even if you haven't used it in your current practice, and how you would work under restructure/organisational change). Lastly there was a group panel which may include young people/service users and a quick fire round of questions ans people chip in to answer. I think it is very important that they get to see your personality. Don't be overbearing and take all the lime light but don't be shy or not assertive and not answer questions. If you don't know something say you don't know yet but you are willing to learn.

Maybe do some reading in anti oppressive anti discriminative practice so it's in your mind as you formulate answer but maybe not nessecarily quoting theory...these kind of things.

The assessment day was so tough but I don't remember doing crazy amounts of preparation before hand outside of thinking up examples of good practice, skills etc to bring to the interview.

Like someone mentioned before there will be a lot of reflection after each activity so if you haven't done reflective writing before maybe just look up the basics so you and critically analyse your performance after each task thinking about how well you did, good and bad and whether you achieved the outcome you wanted.

Also may seem silly but make sure you bring all of your qualification and ID on the the day! They won't even accept you to start the assessment day if you don't have them. If you can't find the certificate then apply to the exam boards for copies once you find out you are accepted.

Kirst!
Reply 92
Thanks for this,much appreciated
Original post by Kirsty27mal
Hello, is anyone doing it in Sunderland?
I have online written assessment Thur 15th
Group/role play via teams on Thur 22nd
And then Assessment day Thur 29th!
Any tips for the written assessment from those that have already completed it?

I found this on an old thread, not sure if will be the same this year but always worth looking over as it all seems relevant..

It will in include: a role play, written exercise which basically involves a risk assessment of a scenario and an action plan of how you would intervene giving justifications for your decisions; a normal interview like you would expect (make sure you have knowledge of human growth and development theories and can briefly acknowledge children's act even if you haven't used it in your current practice, and how you would work under restructure/organisational change). Lastly there was a group panel which may include young people/service users and a quick fire round of questions ans people chip in to answer. I think it is very important that they get to see your personality. Don't be overbearing and take all the lime light but don't be shy or not assertive and not answer questions. If you don't know something say you don't know yet but you are willing to learn.

Maybe do some reading in anti oppressive anti discriminative practice so it's in your mind as you formulate answer but maybe not nessecarily quoting theory...these kind of things.

The assessment day was so tough but I don't remember doing crazy amounts of preparation before hand outside of thinking up examples of good practice, skills etc to bring to the interview.

Like someone mentioned before there will be a lot of reflection after each activity so if you haven't done reflective writing before maybe just look up the basics so you and critically analyse your performance after each task thinking about how well you did, good and bad and whether you achieved the outcome you wanted.

Also may seem silly but make sure you bring all of your qualification and ID on the the day! They won't even accept you to start the assessment day if you don't have them. If you can't find the certificate then apply to the exam boards for copies once you find out you are accepted.

Kirst!

Hi
I've completed the written assessment and you do not need to mention law unless you no about it ...it is a case study with 4 questions...saying that I've seen few different authorities doing things differently ...for example I have done written assessment and am going to assessment centre ...there is no 3rd element ...the only other thing I have is a briefing for the assessment centre ...like an information session to help prepare you ...so im guessing the written assessment may be different ...however a little unfair if it is?!?!? Xxx
Reply 94
(Original post by Auntyjenjen)Hi
I've completed the written assessment and you do not need to mention law unless you no about it ...it is a case study with 4 questions...saying that I've seen few different authorities doing things differently ...for example I have done written assessment and am going to assessment centre ...there is no 3rd element ...the only other thing I have is a briefing for the assessment centre ...like an information session to help prepare you ...so im guessing the written assessment may be different ...however a little unfair if it is?!?!? Xxx

this is exactly how i thought it was
the assessment centre has parts, the interview with a panel, an interview with service users: i.e foster carers etc (prior to knowing i was through to this bit I was sent an email asking if i wanted to be part of the interviewing process as I'm a foster carer) and then a role play session too
the other bit is the prep session for the above
maybe theyre doing it differently elsewhere but i thought they were all the same:rolleyes:
Original post by debbie2571
this is exactly how i thought it was
the assessment centre has parts, the interview with a panel, an interview with service users: i.e foster carers etc (prior to knowing i was through to this bit I was sent an email asking if i wanted to be part of the interviewing process as I'm a foster carer) and then a role play session too
the other bit is the prep session for the above
maybe theyre doing it differently elsewhere but i thought they were all the same:rolleyes:

Yeah it will include all you've said but you are doing role play group exercise on teams?? I havent had anything about that through ...just written and assessment centre in Leeds...im so confused by it all tbh...I emailed to book on the prep session ..and didn't get a reply ...no idea whether that is on zoom.or teams or at a venue?!? It's on the 13th too ...xxx
Reply 96
Yeah it will include all you've said but you are doing role play group exercise on teams?? I havent had anything about that through ...just written and assessment centre in Leeds...im so confused by it all tbh...I emailed to book on the prep session ..and didn't get a reply ...no idea whether that is on zoom.or teams or at a venue?!? It's on the 13th too ...xxx

its a teams meeting, check your junk email, it may have gone in there
You will shortly receive the following three emails:
1. Online written exercise
2. Virtual interview and role play
3. Face-to-face group exercise

This is exactly what I’ve booked onto.
3 separate days for the 3 things.
First two are online and then the last is at the assessment centre at Sunderland Stadium of Light.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 98
Original post by Notquitepastit
Anyone going to an East of England assessment day? I have requested 21st June in Cambridge.

I'm Eastern region too, although I've got my assessment on a different date. Good luck!
Original post by Kinako23
I'm Eastern region too, although I've got my assessment on a different date. Good luck!

Ooh lovely! What area have you applied for as your first choice?

Quick Reply

Latest