The Student Room Group

MPharm OSCE roleplay

So I can literally be testing on anything, no prep time, and I'm so scared of messing up the roleplay. Any advice on how to approach this?
Original post by fastengines
So I can literally be testing on anything, no prep time, and I'm so scared of messing up the roleplay. Any advice on how to approach this?

Hi @fastengines

It is completely normal to feel anxious before an OSCE. Peers in my year see the OSCE as challenging, however we all have different techniques and tips to approach and pass it.
For example, you could create different role play scenarios and practice them with friends, family or even to yourself!
With the role play you may want to create a generic script to follow which may help you structure your answers.
Do you know what topics you may be asked? If so, you could review them before and try and come up with potential OSCE scenarios/questions that could be assessed within this topic.
Also try to find out how many stations you will have and how long each station is, this will help with planning answers and managing your time well.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:
Aaliya ~ 4th year pharmacy student ~ University of Huddersfield
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @fastengines

It is completely normal to feel anxious before an OSCE. Peers in my year see the OSCE as challenging, however we all have different techniques and tips to approach and pass it.
For example, you could create different role play scenarios and practice them with friends, family or even to yourself!
With the role play you may want to create a generic script to follow which may help you structure your answers.
Do you know what topics you may be asked? If so, you could review them before and try and come up with potential OSCE scenarios/questions that could be assessed within this topic.
Also try to find out how many stations you will have and how long each station is, this will help with planning answers and managing your time well.

I hope this has been of some help!
Please don't hesitate to ask any questions :smile:

Hi thanks for your response!
Just want to ask if there's a specific way I can look out for the topics that may come in the OSCE roleplay? Is there any topics within my module I should pay particular attention to? Also is there any resource I can use perhaps online that will make going about this easier?
Hi thanks for your response!
Just want to ask if there's a specific way I can look out for the topics that may come in the OSCE roleplay? Is there any topics within my module I should pay particular attention to? Also is there any resource I can use perhaps online that will make going about this easier?

Hi @fastengines

You could have a look at any content taught for example, lectures or cased based scenarios and try to draw out potential topics that they could ask.
Have your university gone through any practice scenarios with you before? These could act as strong indications as to what could come up.
In terms of resources because different universities format their OSCEs differently, unfortunately, there may not be much on the internet.

I hope this has been of some help
Original post by University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Hi @fastengines

You could have a look at any content taught for example, lectures or cased based scenarios and try to draw out potential topics that they could ask.
Have your university gone through any practice scenarios with you before? These could act as strong indications as to what could come up.
In terms of resources because different universities format their OSCEs differently, unfortunately, there may not be much on the internet.

I hope this has been of some help

Thank you! Do you think I should be revising everything in detail or just the specific things since it's an OSCE test.
Thank you! Do you think I should be revising everything in detail or just the specific things since it's an OSCE test.

Hi @fastengines

I think that does depend on what your university are assessing. Some OSCEs are set in a way where they assess your memory skills, whilst others assess your application skills.
Therefore, it may be best to approach certain topics with knowing how to apply your knowledge and approach others with memory and in detail, for example, rules and regulations surrounding a medicine.

Apologies for the vague answer, however, it does boil down to what skills your lecturers are assessing you on in the OSCE.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending