The Student Room Group

Failed my first “OSCE” exam

So I’m in first year, and at my university we sit OSCES throughout our entire time at Med school, today I had my first day of OSCEs and I absolutely bottled it. Nerves got the better of me, during one of the simulated patients interviews, I completely froze for 10 secs and went silent, I said sorry and was gathering my thoughts after but I know I messed it up. I messed blood pressure up my over estimating systolic pressure and the patient said she previously had fractured the arm I used but it was fine to use it and I’m sure I was supposed to use the other arm. There was another station I completely failed, but I would’ve accepted that one (it was due to nerves) but I feel like if I can do such simple things then I shouldn’t be at med school. I have my semester test tomorrow and my second day of OSCEs after that and I just feel so demotivated.
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m in first year, and at my university we sit OSCES throughout our entire time at Med school, today I had my first day of OSCEs and I absolutely bottled it. Nerves got the better of me, during one of the simulated patients interviews, I completely froze for 10 secs and went silent, I said sorry and was gathering my thoughts after but I know I messed it up. I messed blood pressure up my over estimating systolic pressure and the patient said she previously had fractured the arm I used but it was fine to use it and I’m sure I was supposed to use the other arm. There was another station I completely failed, but I would’ve accepted that one (it was due to nerves) but I feel like if I can do such simple things then I shouldn’t be at med school. I have my semester test tomorrow and my second day of OSCEs after that and I just feel so demotivated.

It's important not to panic and to stay focused on your remaining exams. Realistically you don't know that you've failed until you get your results.

They are not looking for perfection in first year OSCEs and even if you have failed there are always resits and other options. Try not to get distracted in the meantime.
Original post by Democracy
It's important not to panic and to stay focused on your remaining exams. Realistically you don't know that you've failed until you get your results.

They are not looking for perfection in first year OSCEs and even if you have failed there are always resits and other options. Try not to get distracted in the meantime.

Thank you. I do have mitigating circumstances anyway, so even if I do have to resit it wouldn’t be counted as a “resit” but I did let my nerves get the better of me! Plus side if I do have to resit, id be better prepared
Thank you. I do have mitigating circumstances anyway, so even if I do have to resit it wouldn’t be counted as a “resit” but I did let my nerves get the better of me! Plus side if I do have to resit, id be better prepared

Yes exactly. Try not to dwell on it and focus on the next task :yy:

Don't worry about it as those things happen to everyone as it easily done because you are thinking about what you are doing next while doing say blood pressure. I think what Democracy said is good advice to you.

You'll not be alone in this happening as how many others are also doing it.

Even student nurses are failing there OSCES but you should be able to resist this particular exam.
( What happens if I fail my OSCE...... If you do not pass your OSCE on your third attempt, your application will close and you'll need to start a new application if you want to register with us. You must wait at least six months before you sit the OSCE again.) .......

Focus on your next upcoming tasks okay and get a pass mark on it.
Original post by Tracey_W
Don't worry about it as those things happen to everyone as it easily done because you are thinking about what you are doing next while doing say blood pressure. I think what Democracy said is good advice to you.

You'll not be alone in this happening as how many others are also doing it.

Even student nurses are failing there OSCES but you should be able to resist this particular exam.
( What happens if I fail my OSCE...... If you do not pass your OSCE on your third attempt, your application will close and you'll need to start a new application if you want to register with us. You must wait at least six months before you sit the OSCE again.) .......

Focus on your next upcoming tasks okay and get a pass mark on it.

Thank you :smile: I have 5 more OSCE stations on Thursday- I’ll need to pass 4/5 I think to actually pass but you are right! I will focus on my semester test tomorrow then worry about that- if not I have a resit that won’t count as a result due to mitigating circumstances!
Thank you :smile: I have 5 more OSCE stations on Thursday- I’ll need to pass 4/5 I think to actually pass but you are right! I will focus on my semester test tomorrow then worry about that- if not I have a resit that won’t count as a result due to mitigating circumstances!

You are welcome ☺️☺️

Hopefully you'll be very focused on thode other OSCE stations on Thursday when you do these.
Revision is the best thing to do right now and then on Thursday go and do your best and obviously await your results and see where you are with everything.

If you have got mitigating circumstances then all you can do is submit all the evidence on appealing okay.

Good luck 😃🤞
A NHS registered midwife
Reply 7
Hi,
I passed my first step of OSCE. In January I’ll enter second part. I think I can pass workbook session but I’m so nervous about zoom part. If I only fail zoom part, should I enter and pass first test exam and workbook exam again or only enter zoom session is ok?
Thanks for answers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending