The Student Room Group

Child benefit and homeschooling?

I'm considering teaching myself alevels as a private candidate. So I will be homeschooled. Will my mum still recieve government child benefit, how would that work because I wouldn't no longer be in full time education as a homeschooled student would I?
If you haven't previously been home educated, i.e. you've left high school at the end of Year 11 (you're no longer compulsory school age) and you are being home educated for the first time now at the age of 16, then your mother will no longer receive child benefit.

If you have previously been home educated during your high school years, and you're just continuing to be home educated into your post 16 years, then your mother will continue to receive child benefit.

And yes I realise that seems like a very unfair system but that's how it is.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
If you haven't previously been home educated, i.e. you've left high school at the end of Year 11 (you're no longer compulsory school age) and you are being home educated for the first time now at the age of 16, then your mother will no longer receive child benefit.

If you have previously been home educated during your high school years, and you're just continuing to be home educated into your post 16 years, then your mother will continue to receive child benefit.

And yes I realise that seems like a very unfair system but that's how it is.

I'm currently in y12 and want to leave to continue teaching myself, what will happen in that situation. And how can I find this out. Also do you know if its the same with universal credit and other benefits? Thanks for your help
Original post by ramz89
I'm currently in y12 and want to leave to continue teaching myself, what will happen in that situation. And how can I find this out. Also do you know if its the same with universal credit and other benefits? Thanks for your help

Your mother will stop receiving child benefit in this situation.

As far as I'm aware it shouldn't reduce her other benefits.
Reply 4
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Your mother will stop receiving child benefit in this situation.

As far as I'm aware it shouldn't reduce her other benefits.

Good point. Here is the link
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

Not sure why you would want to leave school / college with a view to doing it yourself. Seems a bit defeatist.
Original post by hotpud
Good point. Here is the link
https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

Not sure why you would want to leave school / college with a view to doing it yourself. Seems a bit defeatist.

Some people struggle in a school environment and the demands that are put upon them. My son went to college for a year and decided it wasn't for him, he is now selling his digital art online.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending