The Student Room Group

Should I change driving instructor? or is it normal?

Hiyah,
I had 1 driving instructor before but the only problem was, I was being taught in a big family car and I wanted to maximise my chance of actually passing my driving test, so I had to change. (I only had 2 lessons with this instructor).

I'm now on my second instructor, the first lesson I had picked up things alot quicker, first lesson I changed gears and could actually clutch control, instructor didn't constantly grab wheel and I feel like I can actually drive rather than no control of the car.

The only problem is I felt pressured to pay block lessons, still do and in the first lesson there was constant small talk about family, life, movies during the first lesson, but she was still telling me what to do and picking up on my habits quick, but the second lesson...

The second lesson the instructor was taking phone calls the whole lesson and on her phone making plans with other students and childs school, it was my 1st official lesson changing gears and instead of instructing she was now mumbling what she wanted me to do because she was on the phone so it was hard to pick up on some stuff.

On the first lesson we agreed to do 2 lessons a week 1 hour each, I gave her 2 days, but as soon as I said I wanted to pay for each individual lesson her tune changed and lessons keep getting moved about also in the first lesson I was asking if she had a lesson plan or any sort of plan and it didn't seem like it, when my previous instructor had a book for everything and receipt with checkboxes for what I achieved in each lesson.

I just want to know if anyone has had any experiences like this and do I try for a third instructor or stick with this one as the speed of my learning has been alot with this instructor but it might have been because she wasn't babying me, had a smaller car and let me atleast feel like I atleast had control of the car.
Reply 1
how many lesson have you had with her so far
Original post by isa04
how many lesson have you had with her so far

I've only had 2 lessons with her so far, and overall I've have 5 hours of professional driving lessons total
Reply 3
Original post by HanimalGurl
I've only had 2 lessons with her so far, and overall I've have 5 hours of professional driving lessons total

you may want to stay with her - I went through a similar thing and found that my driving improved a lot when I wasn't constantly being babied as you said as I knew how to deal with certain road situations without as much assistance - but you may differ
I get a bit bored of repeating it but you cannot supervise a learner whilst on the phone. It’s not permitted legally and likely invalidates their insurance.

I’d give serious consideration to changing.
Original post by Admit-One
I get a bit bored of repeating it but you cannot supervise a learner whilst on the phone. It’s not permitted legally and likely invalidates their insurance.

I’d give serious consideration to changing.

Yeah I'd sack someone for that

Remember this is someone you are hiring to do a job, so what they are doing is very disrespectful not to mention illegal
Original post by StriderHort
Yeah I'd sack someone for that

Remember this is someone you are hiring to do a job, so what they are doing is very disrespectful not to mention illegal

Exactly. Imagine hiring a lawyer and them billing you for time they were on the phone to someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending