The Student Room Group

Anyone else think (a lot of) modern music is rubbish?

TL;DR (sorry haha): I think modern music is rubbish. Thoughts?
Obviously this is just my opinion so don't murder me please haha. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, personally I've always preferred older music (anything from the 60s, 70s and 80s to Mozart and Bach xd), but it seems to me that just like loads of modern music is similar, relying too much on autotune, rather inappropriate topics and extremely simple, electronic tunes.

Does anyone else feel like this or am I just alone haha. Not actually from these time periods either, I just naturally like them more. Interested to see people's thoughts.

P.S. completely respect that people have different opinions, and I understand that many would hate my music taste. Just interested to find others. Also I get that there are still good bands nowadays, and talented musicians, but it feels to me like the bad ones are more prevalent.

Edit: peeps I didn't look for a debate, how many times must I say it's my opinion and I accept yours, I was just looking if anyone else felt this way.
(edited 1 year ago)
Western music (mainly rap and pop) has become so sexualised 99% of the songs are a flaming pile of garbage.
Original post by {Moss}
I think modern music is rubbish. Thoughts?

Yes.
Original post by {Moss}
Obviously this is just my opinion so don't murder me please haha. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way, personally I've always preferred older music (anything from the 60s, 70s and 80s to Mozart and Bach xd), but it seems to me that just like loads of modern music is similar, relying too much on autotune, rather inappropriate topics and extremely simple, electronic tunes.

Does anyone else feel like this or am I just alone haha. Not actually from these time periods either, I just naturally like them more. Interested to see people's thoughts.

P.S. completely respect that people have different opinions, and I understand that many would hate my music taste. Just interested to find others. Also I get that there are still good bands nowadays, and talented musicians, but it feels to me like the bad ones are more prevalent.

I think it's always been this way - people were saying that 'modern music was terrible' in the sixties, because they were looking back to when Swing and Big Band was 'proper' music. Plus ça change...

Some modern music is terrible - there's plenty of genres I wouldn't listen to: Mrs RC and I aren't often listening to UK drill whilst having a G&T on the terrace... However, there's plenty of new music and new artists that I do listen to - it's probably no better, or worse, than it ever has been in terms of overall quality. There's definitely more variety now, and with that comes probably a wider range of quality.
Original post by {Moss}

Yes, some of it is bad.

Original post by GeT_iN_SHinJI
Western music (mainly rap and pop) has become so sexualised 99% of the songs are a flaming pile of garbage.

For real. For rap it just seems to be about how many girls can you get and have you know what, how much "ice"/money you have, how many times can you swear throughout the song, the fact that you're some big man because you "came from the hood" etc. In my opinion. I don't like modern day rap music for the most part I think.
Original post by Reality Check
I think it's always been this way - people were saying that 'modern music was terrible' in the sixties, because they were looking back to when Swing and Big Band was 'proper' music. Plus ça change...

Some modern music is terrible - there's plenty of genres I wouldn't listen to: Mrs RC and I aren't often listening to UK drill whilst having a G&T on the terrace... However, there's plenty of new music and new artists that I do listen to - it's probably no better, or worse, than it ever has been in terms of overall quality. There's definitely more variety now, and with that comes probably a wider range of quality.

Definitely agree with this. I think there's also a certain element of confirmation/selection bias with people saying music was better in the past. The songs/ artists from earlier eras which are still known now are the ones which have stood the test of time so are likely to be the better quality stuff. I'm sure there was a lot of rubbish around in the 60s/ 70s/ 80s whenever that no one remembers or cares about anymore.
Reply 6
Nine times from ten, it's a lazy view that betrays a lack of effort. I find loads of great stuff basically all the time. If you don't look and expect it to be fed to you, then yes, it will be disappointing.
No I agree In my opinion, apart from the odd good hit all modern music sounds the same pretty much with whiny voices, or childish voices, or whisper voices lol - I hate listening to the radio nowadays and just stick with my own playlists.

I agree with your statement that there are talented musicians, but the bad ones seem to be mroe prevalent - for example in my opinion (dont bite my head off) but singers like Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran and Tones and I are all really popular considering their lack of vocal talent (IN MY OPINION).

I love the singer Madison Beer who actually sings properly, rather than all affected - I mean just listen to her cover of At Last by Etta James - her voice wasn't even properly developed here and yet you can actuually hear the words she's singing and shes properly singing, rather than just breathy whispers that we usually hear in modern music - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0otR5cFhew

Please dont judge me or bite my head off - this is just my personal opinion
'Sort of'

One huge difference to say 20+ years ago, is that pretty much anyone with a digital device can record, edit and release music for near 0 cost. So quality control goes down and many bedroom artists are less concerned with sales/revenue so will have no issue utterly saturating a genre with mediocre music in a way that a large scale publisher would balk at.

Youtube was the same, everyone can have a TV channel! the downside being that everyone can have a TV channel.
Original post by {Moss}

Edit: peeps I didn't look for a debate, how many times must I say it's my opinion and I accept yours, I was just looking if anyone else felt this way.

I dont want to sound old, but there is a lot of music nowadays which is ****.
Dont get me wrong, some is very good. But there is more **** stuff lately.
I loved te music from the 1990's, 2000's and 2010's. And some from the 1980's too.
I'm assuming this is coming from a more mainstream perspective bc imo "underground" music is better than ever, truly going in a lot of interesting places.
The fact I live in a time where experimental internet rap pioneer Lil B is doing vocals on a hardcore track and World of Pleasure end their hardcore split with KH2 intro nightcore makes me happier than any old music ever could I think.

Quick Reply

Latest