The Student Room Group

Is it worth is to transfer from KCL to a better university?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sleep_supremacy
I’m pretty sure G6 doesn’t actually exist. There’s only a G5 (Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial) from what I can see.

https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=TE3ZCQAAQBAJ&pg=PT167&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false

This book puts KCL in the Golden Triangle.
Original post by sleep_supremacy
KCL generally gets flack for its lack of proper admin, which often leads to disastrous consequences. However, it likely doesn’t have anything to do with your course directly, and bad admin is a grievance a or of unis face, so it isn’t even limited to KCL. The more important question is - would you enjoy studying there?

I’ve done my research on KCL and I think I will like studying there but a part of me deep inside is super worried that somehow going to KCL would considerably lower my opportunities in life later on even though I don’t know if this fear is rational or not.
Original post by holloway775
I’ve done my research on KCL and I think I will like studying there but a part of me deep inside is super worried that somehow going to KCL would considerably lower my opportunities in life later on even though I don’t know if this fear is rational or not.

KCL is part of the Golden Triangle of unis (6 elite unis in London, Oxford and Cambridge)

You'd do well
KCL is always getting **** on in TSR so I wasn’t exactly sure if it’s a good university. Can you lmk what are you going to choose at the end?

I know plenty of people at KCL that are going into IB and consulting graduate schemes so I wouldn't worry too much. As long as you really make the most of your time there you will be alright.

What matters more is whether you’d enjoy studying there. You wouldn’t want your uni life to be miserable! KCL is a pretty good uni and has a rep of its own, so i don’t think you would be disadvantaged. I’ve applied (and gotten accepted into) KCL for this year too btw :five:

This same book mentions how ‘the exact composition of London unis vary’. That’s how I’ve always known it too. There’s no fixed Golden Triangle definition, unlike G5.
Reply 26

What did you do ?
Ironically, KCL is better than Warwick and UCL for Political Economy and I can't see any ranking for Imperial for it. Across all subjects on average, KCL has the same standard of entrants as Warwick.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Picnicl
Ironically, KCL is better than Warwick and UCL for Political Economy and I can't see any ranking for Imperial for it. Across all subjects on average, KCL has the same standard of entrants as Warwick.

Kcl require AAA as a lot of rg and as ucl
This notion that KCL are intrinsically worse than the others has to stop.
Research quality rating www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk:

Anthropology: KCL 85%, UCL 80%, (Imperial and Warwick don't teach it).
Average entry grades (AEG): KCL 95%, LSE 90%, UCL 90%.

Chemistry: KCL 91% (only 1% less than Imperial and UCL), Warwick 88%. (LSE doesn't teach it).
AEG: KCL (70%), Warwick (68%)

Classics: KCL 86% (top of all UK universities, tied with Warwick, Manchester, and Glasgow). LSE and Imperial don't teach it.
AEG: KCL 78%, Warwick 74%.

English: KCL 89%, UCL 87%, Warwick 86% (Imperial and LSE don't teach it).
AEG: KCL 81% (tied with Warwick).

General Engineering: KCL 87%, Warwick 84%.(UCL, Imperial and LSE don't teach it).

French: KCL 81% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 79%. (Imperial and LSE don't teach it). AEG: KCL 73%, tied with Warwick.

German: KCL 81% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 79%. (LSE and Imperial don't teach it).
AEG: KCL 75%, Warwick 73%.

History: KCL 85%, LSE 82%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).
AEG: KCL 84%, Warwick 80%.

Law: AEG: KCL 93%, LSE 92%, UCL 91%, Warwick 75%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).

Linguistics: KCL 81% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 79%. (LSE and Imperial don't teach it).
AEG: KCL 78%, Warwick 76%.

Mathematics: KCL 87%, UCL 85%.

Philosophy: AEG: KCL 85%, Warwick 83%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).

Politics: AEG: KCL 87%, Warwick 80%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).

Psychology: KCL 88% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 84%. (Imperial doesn't teach it). AEG: KCL 82%, Warwick 73%.

Finally, a higher percentage of staff across all subjects on average produce high quality research at KCL (69%) than at LSE (65%) and Warwick (59%). (Imperial is on 80%, UCL 72%).
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by Picnicl
This notion that KCL are intrinsically worse than the others has to stop.
Research quality rating www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk:
Anthropology: KCL 85%, UCL 80%, (Imperial and Warwick don't teach it).
Average entry grades (AEG): KCL 95%, LSE 90%, UCL 90%.
Chemistry: KCL 91% (only 1% less than Imperial and UCL), Warwick 88%. (LSE doesn't teach it).
AEG: KCL (70%), Warwick (68%)
Classics: KCL 86% (top of all UK universities, tied with Warwick, Manchester, and Glasgow). LSE and Imperial don't teach it.
AEG: KCL 78%, Warwick 74%.
English: KCL 89%, UCL 87%, Warwick 86% (Imperial and LSE don't teach it).
AEG: KCL 81% (tied with Warwick).
General Engineering: KCL 87%, Warwick 84%.(UCL, Imperial and LSE don't teach it).
French: KCL 81% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 79%. (Imperial and LSE don't teach it). AEG: KCL 73%, tied with Warwick.
German: KCL 81% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 79%. (LSE and Imperial don't teach it).
AEG: KCL 75%, Warwick 73%.
History: KCL 85%, LSE 82%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).
AEG: KCL 84%, Warwick 80%.
Law: AEG: KCL 93%, LSE 92%, UCL 91%, Warwick 75%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).
Linguistics: KCL 81% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 79%. (LSE and Imperial don't teach it).
AEG: KCL 78%, Warwick 76%.
Mathematics: KCL 87%, UCL 85%.
Philosophy: AEG: KCL 85%, Warwick 83%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).
Politics: AEG: KCL 87%, Warwick 80%. (Imperial doesn't teach it).
Psychology: KCL 88% (only 1% less than UCL), Warwick 84%. (Imperial doesn't teach it). AEG: KCL 82%, Warwick 73%.
Finally, a higher percentage of staff across all subjects on average produce high quality research at KCL (69%) than at LSE (65%) and Warwick (59%). (Imperial is on 80%, UCL 72%).

student satisfaction drags it down really badly in rankings and makes it look worse. kings has to do something about that.
Original post by edfoeasol
student satisfaction drags it down really badly in rankings and makes it look worse. kings has to do something about that.

It also seems very politically correct (deliberately low offers to international students compared to what their UK students are asked for).
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Original post by Picnicl
It also seems very politically correct (deliberately low offers to international students compared to what their UK students are asked for).

kings actually isn't one of the RG unis that were found to do that. if that's what you're saying

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending