The Student Room Group

Tips for combatting negative thoughts at GCSE?

I revise a lot but need some sort of method to stop thinking negatively

Scroll to see replies

I don’t really know what will specifically help you, but can I ask what sort of revision you’re doing? Because what might help, if you’re not doing it already, is doing past papers, marking them and comparing what you got to grade boundaries. Since you’re revising a lot I imagine you’ll be doing really well and will get the grade you want on the practice papers, so seeing that and reminding yourself that you’ve proven you can do it and already got the right grade on the past papers might help?
Aside from that, are you thinking negatively about any parts of the exams in particular or is it more general. If there’s anything specific, let me know and I can try and help you with those specifically.
Original post by squiddy135
I don’t really know what will specifically help you, but can I ask what sort of revision you’re doing? Because what might help, if you’re not doing it already, is doing past papers, marking them and comparing what you got to grade boundaries. Since you’re revising a lot I imagine you’ll be doing really well and will get the grade you want on the practice papers, so seeing that and reminding yourself that you’ve proven you can do it and already got the right grade on the past papers might help?
Aside from that, are you thinking negatively about any parts of the exams in particular or is it more general. If there’s anything specific, let me know and I can try and help you with those specifically.

Its generally. I'm getting good grades but my aims are even higher. If I continue at this rate will I achieve them?
Original post by propergoodman
Its generally. I'm getting good grades but my aims are even higher. If I continue at this rate will I achieve them?

Honestly I have the same problem I feel unprepared but I’m taking a break right now . Maybe take a break and think about it , it’s not how long you revise how smart you revise . But also think about it logically what do you not know and mainly cover that . Then if you do enough questions , maybe you will feel better if you’re getting them right

I don’t know what rate you’re going at.
What’s the difference between the grades you want to get and the grades you’re getting at the moment? If it’s not very big, focused revision on whatever you get wrong in past papers/exam questions should help bridge the gap, and when you’re achieving what you want, which I’m sure you can, then you can reassure yourself that you can do it.
Are your grades currently improving? If so, then I’m sure you will achieve what you want, and just focused revision will help ensure it. Trust me though, don’t freak out too much if you didn’t get what you wanted in your mocks, that often happens (it did to me) and the final exams work out just fine.
Otherwise, maybe talking to your teachers and asking if they think you can get the grades you want and what to do for them should help you. They and/or your parents might also be able to help you with the negative thinking.
Hope this helps :smile:
I don’t know what rate you’re going at.
What’s the difference between the grades you want to get and the grades you’re getting at the moment? If it’s not very big, focused revision on whatever you get wrong in past papers/exam questions should help bridge the gap, and when you’re achieving what you want, which I’m sure you can, then you can reassure yourself that you can do it.
Are your grades currently improving? If so, then I’m sure you will achieve what you want, and just focused revision will help ensure it. Trust me though, don’t freak out too much if you didn’t get what you wanted in your mocks, that often happens (it did to me) and the final exams work out just fine.
Otherwise, maybe talking to your teachers and asking if they think you can get the grades you want and what to do for them should help you. They and/or your parents might also be able to help you with the negative thinking.
Hope this helps :smile:

thx im about one grade lower for a few subjects
thx im about one grade lower for a few subjects

I think that’s about where I was at this time last year (I did my GCSEs last year), so I wouldn’t worry too much. I can tell you that I got the very good grades I wanted, so I’m sure you can too. Try to reassure yourself of that, and if that doesn’t help your negative thoughts, then maybe try and speak to a parent/teacher to see how they/someone else can help.
I hope you feel better soon, you’ve got this! Good luck
I think that’s about where I was at this time last year (I did my GCSEs last year), so I wouldn’t worry too much. I can tell you that I got the very good grades I wanted, so I’m sure you can too. Try to reassure yourself of that, and if that doesn’t help your negative thoughts, then maybe try and speak to a parent/teacher to see how they/someone else can help.

What did u get ?? If u got 8/9s please give tips as to how you got those thanks :smile:
Original post by sara572729
What did u get ?? If u got 8/9s please give tips as to how you got those thanks :smile:

I got all 9s in everything but maths and further maths, in which I got 8s. I found that, for maths and sciences, past papers and mark schemes were far and away the best revision, as I practiced everything and each time got a benchmark of where I was compared to where I wanted to be. I kept a table of past papers for each subject with my percentage, equivalent grade, and the percentage I needed for a 9.
Also, Seneca is really useful for GCSEs! Annoyingly, not all the courses are available for free but I found that more than enough were available for free to be helpful. I used this for history, music and sciences, and tried to go through the sections for each topic so I’d completed the “course” and then did exam questions when they were offered. It was really good for practicing my recall, and then past papers helped with exam technique.
It was less useful for English lit, but I found for that that knowing what characters, themes and/or scenes/moments could come up was useful. I made flashcards of all my quotes with analysis on the other side, and labelled them with the themes they related to, and made sure I knew when they came in the play.
If there’s anything else I can do to help please ask :smile:
I got all 9s in everything but maths and further maths, in which I got 8s. I found that, for maths and sciences, past papers and mark schemes were far and away the best revision, as I practiced everything and each time got a benchmark of where I was compared to where I wanted to be. I kept a table of past papers for each subject with my percentage, equivalent grade, and the percentage I needed for a 9.
Also, Seneca is really useful for GCSEs! Annoyingly, not all the courses are available for free but I found that more than enough were available for free to be helpful. I used this for history, music and sciences, and tried to go through the sections for each topic so I’d completed the “course” and then did exam questions when they were offered. It was really good for practicing my recall, and then past papers helped with exam technique.
It was less useful for English lit, but I found for that that knowing what characters, themes and/or scenes/moments could come up was useful. I made flashcards of all my quotes with analysis on the other side, and labelled them with the themes they related to, and made sure I knew when they came in the play.
If there’s anything else I can do to help please ask :smile:

Oh my god you are literally a genius slay . Right now I’m doing mainly exam questions and just covering a few gaps as well as active recall . In my mocks I got five grade 8’s ( three of which were one/ two marks away from a 9 , one of them was also a creative subject ) ans six 9’s . Do u think I will be able to get better than these in my GCSEs ans how do you avoid procrastination ? Also if you did Jekyll ans Hyde do you have any grade 9 analysis because I’m like a few marks off a 9 in all my essays 😭 . Thank you so much though for your help and sorry if this is a lot I’m just scared I won’t do that well
Just remember they are gcses and in the grand scheme of things , they don't mean ****
Oh my god you are literally a genius slay . Right now I’m doing mainly exam questions and just covering a few gaps as well as active recall . In my mocks I got five grade 8’s ( three of which were one/ two marks away from a 9 , one of them was also a creative subject ) ans six 9’s . Do u think I will be able to get better than these in my GCSEs ans how do you avoid procrastination ? Also if you did Jekyll ans Hyde do you have any grade 9 analysis because I’m like a few marks off a 9 in all my essays 😭 . Thank you so much though for your help and sorry if this is a lot I’m just scared I won’t do that well

No it’s absolutely fine.
First of all, often mocks are supposed to be a bit harder than the actual exams to scare people a bit, so if you got those grades you’re doing amazingly (I literally got a 6 in maths in my mock and nearly cried, so trust me this stress will get better and it’ll be ok). I’d suggest doing past papers - you should be able to find lots on the exam board websites. If you haven’t finished all the courses yet, just cross out those questions and don’t count them as part of the paper.
I did do Jekyll and Hyde - for this often some of the context is really useful. Some really useful advice I was given for English lit about this time last year was to use lots of quotes often. You don’t have to analyse every one, but even just quoting 1-3 words to back up you analysis or to illustrate your argument in the introduction/conclusion is really helpful as it helps you to look like you know heaps and heaps about it, even if you don’t really.
Original post by Guru Jason
Just remember they are gcses and in the grand scheme of things , they don't mean ****

100%
I was really stressed about getting top grades in every subject and, whilst working hard at GCSE has helped set me up well for A level, the actual grades really don’t matter - it’s A levels and predicted grades that determine uni offers, as long as you did well (mostly 7-9) then even Oxbridge aren’t really bothered about the specifics. Really, you just have to do well enough to be allowed to do your chosen subjects at A level, that’s it.
Tip: realise that for the majority of courses and unis GCSEs don't mean much if anything, and outside of uni they are pretty much meaningless aside from maths and English language.

Thank you :smile: Ill message u on results day with my results :smile:
No it’s absolutely fine.
First of all, often mocks are supposed to be a bit harder than the actual exams to scare people a bit, so if you got those grades you’re doing amazingly (I literally got a 6 in maths in my mock and nearly cried, so trust me this stress will get better and it’ll be ok). I’d suggest doing past papers - you should be able to find lots on the exam board websites. If you haven’t finished all the courses yet, just cross out those questions and don’t count them as part of the paper.
I did do Jekyll and Hyde - for this often some of the context is really useful. Some really useful advice I was given for English lit about this time last year was to use lots of quotes often. You don’t have to analyse every one, but even just quoting 1-3 words to back up you analysis or to illustrate your argument in the introduction/conclusion is really helpful as it helps you to look like you know heaps and heaps about it, even if you don’t really.

Omg thank you so much !! I need to make j&h flashcards but it’s difficult to pick quotes I can analyse bc I don’t know half of them 😭😭😭 also like how did you stop yourself from getting distracted bc I keep getting distracted ans can u like describe how it felt on results day 😭😭 bc I feel like this is gonna motivate me more but honestly thank you so much :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
Tip: realise that for the majority of courses and unis GCSEs don't mean much if anything, and outside of uni they are pretty much meaningless aside from maths and English language.

But in my school they use the ALPS system I think so I’ve been told my gcse grades will help predict my a levels but it’s also like I don’t want to disappoint myself
Thank you :smile: Ill message u on results day with my results :smile:

same if I remember
Omg thank you so much !! I need to make j&h flashcards but it’s difficult to pick quotes I can analyse bc I don’t know half of them 😭😭😭 also like how did you stop yourself from getting distracted bc I keep getting distracted ans can u like describe how it felt on results day 😭😭 bc I feel like this is gonna motivate me more but honestly thank you so much :smile:

I sometimes used pomodoro techniques/timers (25 mins of work, 5 minutes break) to help stop me getting too distracted. Also knowing what I had to get through helped - mostly just because of the fear of if I didn’t! To be honest, I did get distracted fairly often - it’s not the end of world.
For quotes, I remember finding some quote banks somewhere, I think, and then picking what I wanted to use from there. Also I was luckily because my teacher used to encourage us to make quote banks in lessons, in groups, so I had those to start with. However, go through your book and see what you’ve highlighted, look for inspiration online and just ask friends what they have. Make sure you know what characters/themes you need and try to find 8-10 quotes for each, quality over quantity, and then if you have words/phrases you can drop in without any analysis then that will help you look like you know even more than you do. Basically it’s giving the impression that you know the book like the back of your hand, even if you don’t.
Results day is weird - on the one hand, when you get the results you wanted, it’s elating, the shock and joy of your work paying off is amazing. On the other, really quickly, you realise you it didn’t really matter all that much and aren’t anywhere near as bothered as you were when you were doing the exams. But yeah, the feeling of satisfaction and joy of your work actually paying off really is worth it, and you get that long summer too!
I sometimes used pomodoro techniques/timers (25 mins of work, 5 minutes break) to help stop me getting too distracted. Also knowing what I had to get through helped - mostly just because of the fear of if I didn’t! To be honest, I did get distracted fairly often - it’s not the end of world.
For quotes, I remember finding some quote banks somewhere, I think, and then picking what I wanted to use from there. Also I was luckily because my teacher used to encourage us to make quote banks in lessons, in groups, so I had those to start with. However, go through your book and see what you’ve highlighted, look for inspiration online and just ask friends what they have. Make sure you know what characters/themes you need and try to find 8-10 quotes for each, quality over quantity, and then if you have words/phrases you can drop in without any analysis then that will help you look like you know even more than you do. Basically it’s giving the impression that you know the book like the back of your hand, even if you don’t.
Results day is weird - on the one hand, when you get the results you wanted, it’s elating, the shock and joy of your work paying off is amazing. On the other, really quickly, you realise you it didn’t really matter all that much and aren’t anywhere near as bothered as you were when you were doing the exams. But yeah, the feeling of satisfaction and joy of your work actually paying off really is worth it, and you get that long summer too!

Okay thank you so much !! also I’m so sorry last question , how long were you revising per day in March / April time because I feel like I’m not doing enough ??? ( again sorry for the all the questions )

Quick Reply

Latest