The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi Guys, could anyone reccomend me a good university to study Music and Music technology in the UK? It is preferred that this university is located in a city which has heavy links to the current UK music industry. (liverpool, london) :smile:
Reply 3
Royal Holloway?
Reply 4
Thanks Zayne, will go check that out now. Any other suggestions? Anw, I am from Singapore, looking for a university to study Music, Music technology in the UK.
Reply 5
I study in the US so I don't know a lot about UK schools, but I've heard really good things about KCL and UCL for music.
Reply 6
Do you have any other preferences? Maybe it would be useful to narrow it down a bit more. Have you looked into the different music courses available? I know almost nothing about music, but a lot of uni courses can vary massively in content and focus, so that will be a major factor. Also entry requirements? What sort grades are you predicted?
Reply 7
I would prefer to study things like music production, technologies used in studios and recordings, at the same time I would like to develop musically in terms of performance. I have Grade 8 in Piano and Theory ABRSM so I am looking at a course that can develop both my computational and musical abilities.
Additional perks like learning how to handle 'live' stage performance equipments and technology, learning how to arrange music for videos/films/commercial are also very attractive to me.
After doing much research, many Universities requires Grade 5 ABRSM and above for instrument and theory. A-level wise, on average, they require BBB and above. In addition, some of them wants interview and audition. For me, I do meet their requirements less the audition/interview.
Reply 8
Hi stonehenge,
Thanks for your reply. Is it a university degree course? I am actually looking at a good and trustable degree course that focuses both on performance and technology, which is relevant to the current music industry.
Reply 9
What you've described, sounds exactly like Ba/BSc Popular Music Production at Huddersfield Uni. I'm doing Music Tech and audio systems there, and our first years are the same, except they do more performance skills, like samba group, vocal training and more.
Reply 10
hi there, thanks for your reply.
Yea ive researched Huddersfield. Would like to know how are you liking the course there? What are you going to do after your studies? Will there be sufficient opportunities for graduates from Huddersfield like you?

Thanks.
I am so tempted to quit my computer science degree to do music, but I think I might just stick at CS and then do a second degree. Shame I am 24, if I was younger I'd be laughing.

I do alot of electronic music production using hardware racks and stuff. Been doing it for years. What sort of music you producing or looking to produce?
I think Southampton has a good mix of classical-popular, so that might be one to look at. I also think Surrey has a music technology course :smile:

Just re-read the OP: the two I've suggested aren't big cities, but both are within two hours of London by train, IIRC :smile:
DrAtomic
I study in the US so I don't know a lot about UK schools, but I've heard really good things about KCL and UCL for music.

UCL doesn't have a Music course! :confused:
Lancaster has great Music Tech and Music courses; however it isn't a big city so you'd probably have to go to Manchester or Preston to work in the industry.
Reply 15
The_Lonely_Goatherd
UCL doesn't have a Music course! :confused:

Oh, I'm sorry!! Just ignore that then... I really just know about the US courses which won't be much help. I guess I've heard good things about KCL then...
(edited 12 years ago)
You are less likely to find the kind of course you describe in traditional UK universities. Off the top of my head have a look at:
LIPA (liverpool institute of performing arts, set up by paul mccartney, very hard to get into)
Leeds college of music (one of the UK conservatoires, but better known for jazz and popular music than classical)
Goldsmiths, (part of university of london, has a popular music course)
Salford University (has commercial music course)
Surrey University (has very well respected sound production degree but you need strong maths & physics results)

Be careful, there are a lot of very indifferent places offering this kind of course to generate income. Demand for the courses is much higher than work available in the music industry, many students have no realistic chance of making a career in music.

Good luck
Reply 18
Thanks alot for all the help. =) Please continue to provide me with suggestions if you all have any. I would try to consolidate my research and apply soon.
I am actually looking to do something that gives me the skill of music technology and synthesis to help me produce, write, record, and arrange music. I would apply for a Uni that has strong links to the music industry, and is in a city with pop music culture also.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest