The Student Room Group

Chose Wrong A-Levels

(deleted)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
Original post by shilk
I originally chose Law, Psychology and Sociology but due to my otherthinking and a lapse in judgement I switched from Psychology and Sociology to Economics and Business.

I've always wanted to study Criminology at university and am actively pursuing that now, yet it irritates me that I had a weird lapse where I switched to Economics and Business, rather than just from Sociology to History.

Although all the universities that I am considering (Bristol, London City, Essex, Birmingham) don't have required/specific subjects, I am concerned that I may be overlooked for peers who studied subjects that lead up to Criminology better. (Is this likely?) To counteract this, I have partook in many extra-curricular activities relating to Criminology e.g. Local Lectures/Talks, MOOCs, Bar Mock Trial. Any other ideas for things like this?

I'm not fond on the idea of restarting Year 12 as I don't want to behind a year for a multitude of reasons, varying from obvious to personal. Should I just stick them out and crack on, with the motivation of studying a subject I know i'll adore at uni?

To summarise:
Is it likely that I will be overlooked for peers who studied subjects that relate more?
How can i set myself apart and show my dedication to the subject on my CV?
Should I just crack on with the motivation of pursuing my passion sooner at university?

Hiya, I honestly don't think you should worry too much about this. You've said that you've done lots of supercurricular activities relating to your studies, like MOOCS and lectures, so you have immersed yourself in your subject and can write about it on your personal statement. I understand that you're concerned about being overlooked for people who have studied pyschology, sociology and criminology, but it doesnt really matter because there are plenty of schools which don't offer any of those subjects (for example my school doesn't offer any of those), so the unis will look at your application and think 'oh, this person's school clearly doesn't offer these subjects, but it doesn't matter because they've found other ways to show their interest in their subject like doing MOOCS'. don't stress about it too much!
Reply 2
Original post by pkchan
Hiya, I honestly don't think you should worry too much about this. You've said that you've done lots of supercurricular activities relating to your studies, like MOOCS and lectures, so you have immersed yourself in your subject and can write about it on your personal statement. I understand that you're concerned about being overlooked for people who have studied pyschology, sociology and criminology, but it doesnt really matter because there are plenty of schools which don't offer any of those subjects (for example my school doesn't offer any of those), so the unis will look at your application and think 'oh, this person's school clearly doesn't offer these subjects, but it doesn't matter because they've found other ways to show their interest in their subject like doing MOOCS'. don't stress about it too much!

Really appreciate an outside perspective on this so thank you :smile:
Original post by shilk
I originally chose Law, Psychology and Sociology but due to my otherthinking and a lapse in judgement I switched from Psychology and Sociology to Economics and Business.

I've always wanted to study Criminology at university and am actively pursuing that now, yet it irritates me that I had a weird lapse where I switched to Economics and Business, rather than just from Sociology to History.

Although all the universities that I am considering (Bristol, London City, Essex, Birmingham) don't have required/specific subjects, I am concerned that I may be overlooked for peers who studied subjects that lead up to Criminology better. (Is this likely?) To counteract this, I have partook in many extra-curricular activities relating to Criminology e.g. Local Lectures/Talks, MOOCs, Bar Mock Trial. Any other ideas for things like this?

I'm not fond on the idea of restarting Year 12 as I don't want to behind a year for a multitude of reasons, varying from obvious to personal. Should I just stick them out and crack on, with the motivation of studying a subject I know i'll adore at uni?

To summarise:
Is it likely that I will be overlooked for peers who studied subjects that relate more?
Should I just crack on with the motivation of pursuing my passion sooner at university?

Heya!
If the universities don't have any specific requirements then you should be fine don't worry as long as you get the necessary grades :h: To stand out, talk about your extracurriculars on the subject such as reading, volunteering and etc.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
If the universities don't have any specific requirements then you should be fine don't worry as long as you get the necessary grades :h: To stand out, talk about your extracurriculars on the subject such as reading, volunteering and etc.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to continue looking for things to add.
Original post by shilk

To summarise:

If the course doesn't specify any particular subjects at A-level then you are fine whatever subjects you do. As long as you get the required grades then that's all that matters.
Sounds like you are doing plenty of extra curricular stuff, which looks good. So you should be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
If the course doesn't specify any particular subjects at A-level then you are fine whatever subjects you do. As long as you get the required grades then that's all that matters.
Sounds like you are doing plenty of extra curricular stuff, which looks good. So you should be fine.

Sounds good : )
Reply 7
Just to follow up, is it worth quoting any books in my cv that I have relating to the subject or should I sty away from mentioning those? Thanks once again for your time.
Reply 8
Original post by shilk
Just to follow up, is it worth quoting any books in my cv that I have relating to the subject or should I sty away from mentioning those? Thanks once again for your time.

*i have read
*stray

Quick Reply

Latest