The Student Room Group

How to get into a highly ranked UK uni after leaving school in y13 this year

Hello all,

I would like to know if anyone could possibly enlighten me on the possibilities of being able to study business management/management at a highly ranked UK university with no A levels? I've heard of the access to HE diploma and something to do with credit transfers from the open university but other than that; i am quite lost. Is possible or am i just dreaming?

Thank you for the guidance in advance
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by andrewarpr
Hello all,

I would like to know if anyone could possibly enlighten me on the possibilities of being able to study business management/management at a highly ranked UK university with no A levels? I've heard of the access to HE diploma and something to do with credit transfers from the open university but other than that; i am quite lost. Is possible or am i just dreaming?

Thank you for the guidance in advance

Pick a university you consider "highly ranked" and check the entry requirements for a course in which you're interested. They'll always list entry qualifications other than just A levels. For example, University of Bath's "Business BSC (Hons) with two six-month work placements", here, lists the following different ways of meeting the entry requirements for the course:

A level: AAA or A*AB
International Baccalaureate: 36 points
Pearson Edexcel BTEC RQF: DDD
OCR Cambridge Technical: D*DD
Cambridge Pre-U: D3, D3, D3 or D2, D3, M1
Scottish Highers: AA in Advanced Highers
Access to HE Diploma: 36 credits at Distinction
Open University credits: Pass units worth 120 credits including a minimum of a Pass 2 with 75% in a relevant Level 2 unit.

Those are just the typical offers; there are also several alternative offers, and a variety of combinations.
Reply 2
Heyy. I left A Levels in year 12 and I'm doing Access to HE Engineering rn. Got offers from three RG unis and Uni of Bath. I didn't expect that due to all the rumors saying they don't like Access students. Now I know it's very possible to get into what is considered a top uni here as long as the Access to HE is a qualification they consider.

You just have to make sure every part of your application is strong to give yourself a good chance. You need to show them that you're able to overcome challenges and keep working towards any goals you've set for yourself. Unis like Bath will ask why you left school and they'll want to see an ability to keep going despite what life throws at you.

A good personal statement and one or two supercurriculars will also help. (Supercurriculars aren't necessary, though). Goodluck with your school journey and feel free to AMA.
Reply 3
This is very helpful so thank you.

May i ask how old you are as i'm just 18 and want to start my Access to HE as soon as i'm 19 so how would that affect me in terms of how universities would view my application?

Original post by DarylO
Heyy. I left A Levels in year 12 and I'm doing Access to HE Engineering rn. Got offers from three RG unis and Uni of Bath. I didn't expect that due to all the rumors saying they don't like Access students. Now I know it's very possible to get into what is considered a top uni here as long as the Access to HE is a qualification they consider.

You just have to make sure every part of your application is strong to give yourself a good chance. You need to show them that you're able to overcome challenges and keep working towards any goals you've set for yourself. Unis like Bath will ask why you left school and they'll want to see an ability to keep going despite what life throws at you.

A good personal statement and one or two supercurriculars will also help. (Supercurriculars aren't necessary, though). Goodluck with your school journey and feel free to AMA.
I've heard of the access to HE diploma

Lots of info here - its hard work as its only a one-year course but worth it - https://www.accesstohe.ac.uk/
Reply 5
This is very helpful so thank you.

May i ask how old you are as i'm just 18 and want to start my Access to HE as soon as i'm 19 so how would that affect me in terms of how universities would view my application?

You're welcome.

I'm 20 this year. I started the course last year at 19. I'm one of the youngest in my class. Most are older and all of us got offers from the unis we applied to so don't worry about your age. Your age won't affect you negatively as long as you show that you can keep up with school now.

Honestly, I think they like older students because a lot of us have taken the time to evaluate ourselves and have a clearer plan for the future. We're also less likely to experience a burnout. See it as a good thing. Just make sure you have a plan for the future and put it in the conclusion of your personal statement. Unis like to know that they won't be wasting resources on students who won't be productive post-graduation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending