The Student Room Group

I want to get a 9 in gcse history

I did a mock in y10 and got a 6 but in y11 i dropped to a 4 but i want to improve my grades. How can I do this
Original post by otto2000
I did a mock in y10 and got a 6 but in y11 i dropped to a 4 but i want to improve my grades. How can I do this

Hi @otto2000

I found the best way to boost my grades for history was to practice the exam questions. If you know your exam board, then you should be able to find past papers online to try. And if you ask your teachers nicely, they might be able to give you some feedback.

It's good to keep on track of knowledge and facts, of course, but I found that by putting what I had learnt into practice, I became more familiar with the exam question style and how to use the content from my lessons in the exam.

To learn content, I liked to spend some quality time re-reading class notes and the textbook, and making a detailed mind map that covered a whole topic. I also love to draw, so I would add in doodles to help me remember facts. Then once I had some detailed revision notes, I would get friends and family to quiz me, or would test myself on 'filling in the gaps' if I covered over a section of the mind map.

I also loved making the textbook content into more of a story - sounds a bit childish, I know - but it really helped me to digest the timeline of events.

Hopefully this helps you out!
Emily
Student Rep at BCU 🙂
Reply 2
Thank you so much i hope to improve on my second mock
I took very detailed notes in lessons and revised all of the course in great detail for exams. By taking the detailed notes you learn more in lessons and have great revision resources . In addition, practice exam technique, with exam questions , open book if you want . You don’t actually need to know loads but understanding the links between all sorts of topics helps you be evaluative and you have no shortage of facts to use in exams. I loved history so worked really hard for two years and got a 9-I think my earnest interest in the subject helped far more than getting a top grade for arbitrary reasons because I put in so much effort without thinking. Essay technique is still super important no matter how many facts you know so work on that .
Reply 4
Original post by Peach_rose34
I took very detailed notes in lessons and revised all of the course in great detail for exams. By taking the detailed notes you learn more in lessons and have great revision resources . In addition, practice exam technique, with exam questions , open book if you want . You don’t actually need to know loads but understanding the links between all sorts of topics helps you be evaluative and you have no shortage of facts to use in exams. I loved history so worked really hard for two years and got a 9-I think my earnest interest in the subject helped far more than getting a top grade for arbitrary reasons because I put in so much effort without thinking. Essay technique is still super important no matter how many facts you know so work on that .

Thank you so much did you watch any history revision videos.
Original post by otto2000
Thank you so much did you watch any history revision videos.

Honestly no. I did watch lots of long form videos on parts of history not on the gcse out of general interest but if you can find good revision videos I’m sure they’d be useful .

Quick Reply

Latest