The Student Room Group

I cant cope with University Prestige (GTFIH)

It's so cringe knowing that I have to grind these subjects that I don't even like to do a good degree at a prestigious university just so I'm not a brokie in the future.

Cruel world
It's so cringe seeing you believe that a good degree at a prestigious university will make you rich. The world doesn't work that way I am afraid. There's no point doing something that you don't like because eventually you'll end up miserable. Lots of graduates from prestigious universities don't find it easy to get a job because we live in a very competitive world and your degree and prestige is not as relevant as you believe.

Cruel world
Original post by username6107000
It's so cringe seeing you believe that a good degree at a prestigious university will make you rich. The world doesn't work that way I am afraid. There's no point doing something that you don't like because eventually you'll end up miserable. Lots of graduates from prestigious universities don't find it easy to get a job because we live in a very competitive world and your degree and prestige is not as relevant as you believe.

Cruel world

Woah we have a similar username
Mate the job I want to do only hire from "prestigious" university it's not a belief its truth
Original post by username001345
Woah we have a similar username
Mate the job I want to do only hire from "prestigious" university it's not a belief its truth

If you think you'll be broke unless you work as an investment banker you really need to manage your expectations of life. And maybe budget better.
Original post by artful_lounger
If you think you'll be broke unless you work as an investment banker you really need to manage your expectations of life. And maybe budget better.

I wouldn't even do it as a Career the hours are to brutal I don't see myself working in Banking after 40. Ive only considered it because I want to acquire as much wealth as possible before 30
I wouldn't even do it as a Career the hours are to brutal I don't see myself working in Banking after 40. Ive only considered it because I want to acquire as much wealth as possible before 30

Seems a bit at odds with what you describe as "stoicism" that you are aspiring to...

If your goal is simply to acquire wealth early why would you enter a PAYE job, despite every pseudointellectual lining up to work at PWC, if you want to be wealthy; entrepreneurship & equity based options seem a better path to me.
Original post by artful_lounger
Seems a bit at odds with what you describe as "stoicism" that you are aspiring to...

Don’t be mistaken I don’t plan on amassing wealth just so I can buy meaningless soulless corporate products. I’m already a very frugal person, I just want to have freedom
Original post by mnot
If your goal is simply to acquire wealth early why would you enter a PAYE job, despite every pseudointellectual lining up to work at PWC, if you want to be wealthy; entrepreneurship & equity based options seem a better path to me.

Easier said than done which is why I pursue Banking/Consulting earn a lot and learn from actual successful entrepreneurs

Put money towards buying equity and appreciating assets take on debt too
Easier said than done which is why I pursue Banking/Consulting earn a lot and learn from actual successful entrepreneurs

Put money towards buying equity and appreciating assets take on debt too

As someone who has multiple offers for the industries you have listed I suspect you’ll find going to a great university isn’t actually a major benefit in landing a job there, it is a pre-requisite but they tend to recruit passionate individuals who can demonstrate an interest & technical knowledge. Simply applying for the money will quickly unravel as these companies put you through 3-4 rounds of interview so requires genuine interest & knowledge.

fwiw, i also found i got offered more money for technical consulting roles over management/finance, probably these typical jobs are in a ridiculously over saturated market and demonstrating unique hard to find skills to a very specific area is more useful.
(edited 1 year ago)
Don’t be mistaken I don’t plan on amassing wealth just so I can buy meaningless soulless corporate products. I’m already a very frugal person, I just want to have freedom

You can attain that on a salary much lower than an investment banker, with better quality of life.

Also I think quite a few philosophical systems would not categorise being bound to the need or desire for material wealth as "freedom".
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending