The Student Room Group

Group is doing nothing for group presentation

I have a presentation on Tuesday and my group are not actually making proper slides, they are plagiarising everything and aren't talking about the right things. There's 6 of us and we are doing it on Pizza Express (don't ask I didn't want to do it 5 vs 1) and we have to do actual research on all the business stuff and evaluate it.

My slides (I'm biased) are perfect compared to theirs. I haven't copied and pasted anything, I've done uni level work and referenced everything properly. I've spoken to them all about it and said you need to include this and reference that but they aren't changing anything and still copying and pasting off of Wikipedia. They just have massive paragraphs off of the Internet covering each slide and that's also their scripts.

We are getting marked as a group which is the problem I have. If it was marked individually I'd happily submit what we have because I know I'll get over 80 which is my average grade and they'll all fail. But now I'm probably going to fail because they've plagiarised and not done any actual work. Turnitin is going to say 99% similarity, and I've been told to submit the work so it's going to be on my record that I've plagiarised.

My friend said maybe I should just change all the slides and do it for them but I can't do 5 other people's work for them when I have my own slides and loads of other stuff due for my other classes.

What would you do in this situation? I asked my teacher and he wasn't helpful, just that it has to be marked as a group so "try and talk to them" which didn't work.

Do I just get failed for the first time in my life and get kicked out of uni for copying...........................?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Original post by fudgeyx
I have a presentation on Tuesday and my group are not actually making proper slides, they are plagiarising everything and aren't talking about the right things. There's 6 of us and we are doing it on Pizza Express (don't ask I didn't want to do it 5 vs 1) and we have to do actual research on all the business stuff and evaluate it.

My slides (I'm biased) are perfect compared to theirs. I haven't copied and pasted anything, I've done uni level work and referenced everything properly. I've spoken to them all about it and said you need to include this and reference that but they aren't changing anything and still copying and pasting off of Wikipedia. They just have massive paragraphs off of the Internet covering each slide and that's also their scripts.

We are getting marked as a group which is the problem I have. If it was marked individually I'd happily submit what we have because I know I'll get over 80 which is my average grade and they'll all fail. But now I'm probably going to fail because they've plagiarised and not done any actual work. Turnitin is going to say 99% similarity, and I've been told to submit the work so it's going to be on my record that I've plagiarised.

My friend said maybe I should just change all the slides and do it for them but I can't do 5 other people's work for them when I have my own slides and loads of other stuff due for my other classes.

What would you do in this situation? I asked my teacher and he wasn't helpful, just that it has to be marked as a group so "try and talk to them" which didn't work.

Do I just get failed for the first time in my life and get kicked out of uni for copying...........................?

Have you contacted your tutor about it? There are so many educational studies which point out this massive flaw in cooperative learning.
Unfortunately such is the nature of group work at uni. As above you should get in touch with the module convener about the issues and discuss how to resolve that - noting both the extensive plagiarism in the rest of the groups work after you raised it as an issue, and also the fact their proposed solution was to tell you to do it all for them. You should do this before you are due to submit it.
Reply 4
You said that you had spoken to your teacher.

If you have spoken to the module convener already, it is worth doing it again and saying what artful lounger suggested, and asking how to resolve it, bearing in mind talking to the group (as the tutor/lecturer initially suggested) has only resulted in them saying you need to redo their allocated slides, so the issue is not resolved; talking to the others has not dealt with the problem.
(edited 1 year ago)
Unfortunately, this kind of scenario occurs again and again with uni group work.

First off, what is the weighting of the group presentation? Usually it's 25% of the module grade.

Normally there is a component in the assessment for the individual contribution (maybe 20%?) which allows for differentiation of marks within the group, especially when there are passengers who do nothing or very little - is that the case here?

If not, you all get the same mark which may seem harsh but what that does signify is that group dynamics & negotiating the assessment task as a group is given particular emphasis.

What are the assessment criteria, just out of interest?

Do you know for a fact that the work is going in via Turnitin? As far as I am aware, slides can't be run through it - so are you submitting a plain word processed document of all the slide content?

In terms of what you can do, you have already let your tutor know the situation and they have taken the view that it's all about group work so sort it out amongst yourselves.

You could take the "damage limitation" approach and devote a specific and limited amount of time (eg 3 hours) to tidy up the slides - not to re-do them, just to remove the most offending bits. Is there even one person in the group who could work with you on this?

You've just got to get through this with the least extra work as you can, then put it behind you
Reply 6
I don't know much about this but my instinct is that if it was me, I would speak to the module convener again but also consider (as above) 'tidying' the slides, because you are marked as a group, if you think it would improve it and make a difference. If you do this I guess you will have a version of the presentation saved as it was before you tidy it.
(edited 1 year ago)
Beyond what has already been said, the best approach for university group work is to take control of the project from the start and do the bulk of the work yourself. It is better than people who slack get good marks due to your effort than you get a low mark or risk being penalised for plagiarism due to their lack of effort.
Very often faced with such a problem.
Worst of all, when a group is created randomly, without taking into account the desire of the student.
Someone likes to leave everything for the last moment, someone hopes that everything will be done for him, and you worry and work for everyone.
I think it's better to immediately separate the responsibilities, and then indicate in the project who worked on what.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 9
Original post by fudgeyx

waffler shush man, firm it acc thought i was gonna help you in the presentation

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending