The Student Room Group

Forgetting to reference

I have rechecked a 1500 word essay that I submitted and realised I forgot to reference a paragraph. The paragraph contains a quote that isn’t referenced.

I am very worried about this.

Shall I email my tutor or just wait and see what happens?

Please help
Original post by Anonymous
I have rechecked1500 word essay that I submitted and realised I forgot to reference a paragraph. The paragraph contains a quote that isn’t referenced.

Please help

I am a 3rd year student btw
If the rest of the referencing is solid, the tutor might just note that it's been overlooked and mention it in your feedback. Regarding the paragraph in question, how much content is unreferenced, is it just the one quote and is it in quotation marks (therefore clearly signalling that it is a quote), and is the source listed in the bibliography?
(edited 1 year ago)
Thank you for replying! There are 2-3 sources not referenced in the text or the bibliography. The quote is in quotation marks.

Original post by cheadle
If the rest of the referencing is solid, the tutor might just note that it's been overlooked and mention it in your feedback. Regarding the paragraph in question, how much content is unreferenced, is it just the one quote and is it in quotation marks (therefore clearly signalling that it is a quote), and is the source listed in the bibliography?
I'm not sure what is to be gained by contacting your tutor at this point. I would probably wait to see the outcome. It depends how much of a referencing stickler the marker is. They might just knock some marks off for inconsistent referencing. I know its uncomfortable but you probably have to sit this out till you know what's what.
I think the fact that you've referenced everything else means your tutor will likely see it as an innocent mistake
You’re basically ****ed. They could see it as plagiarism and you’ll be kicked out. Also 1500 word essays in the third year? Pathetic. I know people who did 10k on a regular basis.
As the quote in question is in quotation marks you should be ok you might have a couple of marks knocked off but it’s likely it’ll be seen as a mistake poor referencing sure but I is clearly a quote you didn’t try as claim it as your own because it is in quotes.
Original post by Anonymous
I have rechecked a 1500 word essay that I submitted and realised I forgot to reference a paragraph. The paragraph contains a quote that isn’t referenced.

Please help

Hey!
I would advise you to take action and email your tutor about the missing reference. While it may be tempting to wait and see what happens, it's always better to be proactive and address the issue as soon as possible. Your tutor will likely appreciate your honesty and diligence in catching the mistake and taking steps to correct it.
In your email, you can explain the situation and provide the missing reference for the paragraph in question. It's also a good idea to apologize for the oversight and assure your tutor that you take academic integrity seriously.
It's important to remember that mistakes happen, and your tutor is there to help you learn and improve. By being upfront and taking responsibility for the mistake, you are demonstrating your commitment to academic integrity and your willingness to learn from your mistakes.
I hope that helps, and good luck with your essay!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending