The Student Room Group

Psychology quick question I promise

Outline one behavioural therapy based on classical conditioning and one based on operant conditioning to treat phobia

I know classical conditioning is aversion therapy, but for operant conditioning all I can find online is that it re-inforces the phobia since avoiding the feared item is a reward.
*What is a therapy based on operant conditioning? Is it systematic desensitisation? Or token economy???? Or anything else???

Its aqa a level btw
Do you have a pic of the question? Is it something from an official past paper?
Original post by blushingsakura
Do you have a pic of the question? Is it something from an official past paper?

no it's from an online course sadly
Original post by CatInTheCorner
no it's from an online course sadly

(There is a chance Im wrong here) but I don't actually think operant conditioning is involved in treatment of phobias? As far as I am aware, classical conditioning is used in both of the main treatments for it -as far as the AQA board explains anyways (like system dys. for instance.) I know operant conditioning is involved in the MAINTENENCE of the phobia, but in terms of treatement, nope. Check out this link involving the role of operant conditioning in phobias- nothing about treatment, just keeping it. Sorry I cant be much help, but I guess maybe the fact that makes 2 of us clueless about its role in treatment means the question is incorrect slightly?

https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/topics/operant-conditioning-phobias
Reply 4
Original post by CatInTheCorner
Outline one behavioural therapy based on classical conditioning and one based on operant conditioning to treat phobia

I know classical conditioning is aversion therapy, but for operant conditioning all I can find online is that it re-inforces the phobia since avoiding the feared item is a reward.
*What is a therapy based on operant conditioning? Is it systematic desensitisation? Or token economy???? Or anything else???

Its aqa a level btw

Behavioural therapy tends to be underpinned by theory of both classical and operant conditioning. There is a basic behavioural explanation of how fears develop here. In terms of treatment, it involves changing a person's response to a feared (conditioned) stimulus, in order to habituate to it. Generally, this involves exposing the person to the stimulus and having them stay with it, rather than what they previously would have done (avoided or escaped the situation). As you mentioned, avoiding the feared stimulus relieves anxiety, so this behaviour is negatively reinforced. Exposure therapy aims to teach the person that their feared consequences do not happen and that their fear/anxiety reduces over time without escaping. They therefore habituate, meaning the stimulus no longer provokes a fear response.
Original post by blushingsakura
(There is a chance Im wrong here) but I don't actually think operant conditioning is involved in treatment of phobias? As far as I am aware, classical conditioning is used in both of the main treatments for it -as far as the AQA board explains anyways (like system dys. for instance.) I know operant conditioning is involved in the MAINTENENCE of the phobia, but in terms of treatement, nope. Check out this link involving the role of operant conditioning in phobias- nothing about treatment, just keeping it. Sorry I cant be much help, but I guess maybe the fact that makes 2 of us clueless about its role in treatment means the question is incorrect slightly?

https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/topics/operant-conditioning-phobias

Thank you! Apparently token economy is operant?? According to the course tutor

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending