The Student Room Group

Self-teaching classical greek before uni?

Hi all,

I’m currently on a gap year before going to uni to study Classics this September. I have Latin A Level, but am using this year to learn some Greek. My goal is to get my Greek to the same level as my Latin, but I won’t have any qualifications to show for it. Say I reach roughly A Level standard Greek before September, would I be able to study Advanced Greek at uni without an A Level?!

Thanks for any advice :smile:
It's up to the individual university, though it may be worth emailing to ask. Though you'd have to a lot of literature practice to be at the same level as those who did Greek A-Level, even after covering the same content, as there isn't tons more content compared to the GCSE.

As a side note, I'd recommend John Taylor's Greek To GCSE and Greek Beyond GCSE.
Original post by melancollege
It's up to the individual university, though it may be worth emailing to ask. Though you'd have to a lot of literature practice to be at the same level as those who did Greek A-Level, even after covering the same content, as there isn't tons more content compared to the GCSE.

As a side note, I'd recommend John Taylor's Greek To GCSE and Greek Beyond GCSE.

Hi there! Thanks so much for your reply! I think I defo will email the university once I’ve accepted my place… I’m currently ploughing through Taylor’s Greek to GCSE and hopefully Beyond GCSE over summer!! I’m hoping that because I did Latin to A Level, I’ll sort of be able to gauge what’s expected of me in terms of literature and I’ll be able to have a go at translating some…!

Thanks so much for your help xx

Quick Reply

Latest