The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

History of Art or Classical studies at Bristol

Hi
I would like to know any thoughts about both courses at Bristol. I have no previous knowledge of either Latin or Greek. Thanks
Original post by wvardy
Hi
I would like to know any thoughts about both courses at Bristol. I have no previous knowledge of either Latin or Greek. Thanks

Neither of these courses require any subject knowledge of either Greek or Latin. Many incoming undergraduates doing Classics at uni don't have any Latin or Greek knowledge (maybe a small handful up to GCSE, and only a very tiny minority have it up to A-level).

What you'd need to show in your personal statement is how much you've read around the subject - start with Mary Beard's SPQR, if you're interested in classical studies. Maybe enter a classics or a history of art competition? That will look good in any personal statement. Or if you have a bit more free time, then learn either Latin or Ancient Greek from scratch...it'll look impressive to the admissions tutor.

It doesn't matter whether you've done either subject before - admissions tutors just want to see your passion and enthusiasm reflected in any extra work you've done :smile:
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending